SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – Schools, child care facilities and others in the Coastal Empire and Lowcountry are preparing for potential severe weather on Thursday.
Storm Team 3 expects an increasing risk of a strong squall line developing with embedded cells that could produce damaging wind, hail and tornadoes.
Read through the list of closings and changes below for Thursday.
- Savannah-Chatham County Public School System: All students will shift to virtual learning. Classes will start at their regular times and end at noon due to potential power outages.
- Bryan County Schools will be dismissing students one hour early.
- Bacon County School District: Students will be released 30 minutes earlier than previously planned. Buses will also leave campuses 30 minutes ahead of schedule, meaning children will arrive home early.
- Dismissal times: BCPS at 11:30 a.m., BCES at 11:45 a.m. and BCMS/BCHS at 12:20 p.m.
- Beaufort County School District: Elementary schools will be dismissed at 11:45 a.m. Middle and high school students will be released at 12:45 p.m.
- Bulloch County Schools: Schools are open for a half-day but the district says parents can make the best attendance decision for their family.
- Transitions Learning Center 10 a.m.
- All elementary schools 11 a.m.
- Cedarwood and Portal middle and high schools 11:15 a.m.
- Statesboro High, William James, and Langston Chapel middle schools 11:45 a.m.
- Southeast Bulloch’s middle and high schools 12 p.m.
- Effingham County School District: All students will log on for virtual instruction.
- Evans County School System: Closed
- Greenbriar Children’s Center program at Wendy’s preschool: Closed
- Hampton School District One: All students will log on for virtual instruction.
- Jasper County School District: All schools will be virtual. Friday is a scheduled academic intervention day.
- Liberty County School System: Students will shift to virtual learning and login according to their regular school schedule.
- Long County School System: Closed
- Tattnall County Schools: Closed
- Urban Christian Academy: Closed
- Bryan County:
- Richmond Hill YMCA: All programs and child watch will close at noon. There will be no Holiday Camp.
- Chatham County: All sites and programs listed below will close at noon
- Habersham YMCA youth sports, E-Camp, child watch
- Habersham YMCA Child Learning Center
- Islands Family YMCA youth sports, E-Camp, Gymnastics, child watch
- Tybee Island YMCA
- West Chatham YMCA youth sports, E-Camp, child watch
- West Chatham YMCA Child Learning Center
- Liberty County:
- Liberty County/ Armed Services all programs and services (child watch) will close at noon. There will be no Holiday Camp.
- McIntosh County:
- McIntosh County YMCA: No after-school enrichment
- The state’s mass vaccination site at Gulfstream in Savannah will close at 1 p.m. All appointment holders will be rescheduled to arrive before 12:30 p.m.
- A vaccination clinic hosted by Beaufort Memorial Hospital at the Bluffton Early Childhood Center will be rescheduled for next week.
- Chatham County Recorder’s Court will only hold traffic court dockets. All other dockets will be rescheduled for a later date.
- Fort Pulaski National Monument will close at 12 p.m. and will remain closed until park staff can assess any storm damage.
- The Board of Voter Registration and Elections of Beaufort County: Closes at noon
- Pooler Municipal Court: 2 p.m. session has been canceled
- Savannah City offices to close at 1 p.m.
- Chatham Area Transit will be suspending all services at 2 p.m. Thursday. Services will return after determination by CAT leadership.