SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the two-shot Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine (or Comirnaty) for individuals 16 years of age and older.
The vaccine is also available under emergency use authorization for individuals aged 5 to 15 and for the third dose in certain immunocompromised individuals. A kid-size shot is available for those ages 5 to 11.
The first shipments of the COVID-19 vaccine arrived in the Coastal Empire and Lowcountry in mid-December
State health departments have since launched online dashboards providing up to date information on vaccines administered:
Am I eligible?
All three vaccines — Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson — are available to those 18 and older.
Pfizer is approved for individuals as young as 16 and has been given EUA for children aged 5 to 15.
Studies by Moderna and Johnson & Johnson are evaluating the safety and effectiveness of vaccines in younger age groups.
Only certain populations are eligible for a booster shot at this time, including those 18 and older with underlying medical conditions, elderly individuals, residents in long-term care settings and those with at-risk occupations.
Can I get a booster shot?
The following groups are eligible for a booster shot 6 months after their initial series of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine:
- 65 years and older
- Age 18+ who live in long-term care settings
- Age 18+ who have underlying medical conditions
- Age 18+ who work or live in high-risk settings
For those who received the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, booster shots are recommended for those who are 18 and older and who were vaccinated two or more months ago.
The health departments in Chatham and Glynn counties are offering pediatric doses of the COVID-19 vaccine:
- Chatham Co. Health Dept. Annex (former EmployAbility building) – 1249 Eisenhower Dr.
- Chatham Co. Health Dept. main clinic – 1395 Eisenhower Dr.
- Glynn Co. Health Department – 2747 Fourth St., Brunswick
Where can I get the vaccine?
Numerous options are available, from health departments and hospitals to pharmacies and clinics. WSAV has listed out many of those options below, but here are quick links for the state health department vaccine locators and their helplines:
- Georgia Department of Public Health | 888-457-0186
- South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control | 1-866-365-8110
DHEC has expanded its homebound vaccination program to all 46 counties. Call the vaccine information line above to make arrangements.
Georgia residents who are homebound can email HVS@dph.ga.gov with the following information for the person requiring an at-home vaccination: name, date of birth, address, city, county and phone number.
Camden, Glynn and McIntosh counties
Residents in Camden, Glynn, or McIntosh counties who have an appointment to get the COVID-19 vaccine but don’t have access to transportation can call 1-866-543-6744 for a free ride to and from the appointment.
The Brunswick (GA) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated received a $4,500 grant to provide transportation for residents of these three counties.
Savannah vaccination sites
Call 311 for registration help or with questions
The vaccination clinic downtown recently moved from the Savannah Civic Center to one of the Savannah Fire Department stations:
- 121 E Oglethorpe Ave.
- Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines
- Appointments given priority over walk-ups
- Register online here
CORE (Community Organized Relief Effort) is also operating mobile vaccination pop-up clinics around the city:
- Community sites, businesses and places of worship in Chatham County
- Times vary
- Pre-registration preferred
- Visit here to register and view upcoming clinics
New Pooler vaccination site
A new COVID-19 vaccination clinic is opening up to the public on Monday, Dec. 27, at the West Chatham YMCA (165 Isaac G. LaRoche Drive).
The site will operate every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., offering the
- Monday & Wednesday: Pfizer (age 12+), Pfizer booster (age 16+), Johnson & Johnson (age 18+), and Johnson & Johnson booster (age 18+)
- Thursday: Pfizer (age 12+), Pfizer booster (age 16+), Moderna (age 18+), and Moderna booster (age 18+)
Although walk-ins will be accepted, appointments are recommended and can be scheduled online at chdcovidvax.org.
Should you need assistance making an appointment, call 912-230-5506. The vaccine hotline is open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., excluding holidays.
Public health departments
The Southeast Health District serves several counties in the Coastal Empire, including Appling, Bacon, Bulloch, Candler, Coffee, Evans, Jeff Davis, Tattnall, Toombs and Wayne. Visit this link to make an appointment or call 1-855-473-4374.
The Coastal Health District (CHD) serves Bryan, Camden, Chatham, Effingham, Glynn, Liberty, Long and McIntosh counties. Though appointments are recommended, the district is now offering some walk-in hours.
CHD is requiring appointments for booster shots. WSAV is told only Chatham and Glynn counties are offering all three at this time. Patients are encouraged to check online to see which vaccines are available at each location.
Vaccination without an appointment is not guaranteed and is based on availability:
- Bryan County:
- 430 Ledford Street in Pembroke | Monday, 8:30am-12pm and 1-5pm
- 66 Captain Matthew Freeman Drive in Richmond Hill | Monday, 8:30am-12pm and 1-5pm
- Camden County:
- 905 Dilworth Street in St. Marys | Thursday, 9-11:30am and 1-5pm
- 1501 Georgia Avenue in Woodbine | Thursday, 9-11:30am | CLOSED July 8
- Call 1-866-543-6744 to schedule a free ride
- Chatham County:
- 1249 Eisenhower Drive
- Monday-Thursday, 8:30am-2pm and Friday, 8:30am-12pm
- Effingham County:
- 802 Hwy. 199 South in Springfield | Tuesday, 8:30-11:30am and 1-3pm
- Glynn County:
- 2747 Fourth Street in Brunswick
- Monday-Wednesday, 8am-12pm
- Thursday, 8am-12pm and 1pm-6pm
- Friday, 8am-12pm
- Call 1-866-543-6744 to schedule a free ride
- Liberty County:
- 1113 East Oglethorpe Highway in Hinesville | Monday, 8:30-11:30am
- Long County:
- 584 North Macon Street in Ludowici | Thursday, 8:30-11:30am
- McIntosh County:
- 1335 Georgia Hwy. 57 in Townsend | Monday, 8:30am-4:30pm
- Beaufort Memorial (Beaufort)
- Coastal Care Partners
- Hilton Head Regional Healthcare | 843-689-7282 (Bluffton)
- J.C. Lewis Primary Health Care Center (Savannah)
- Memorial Health (Savannah)
- Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center | 843-789-6900 (Savannah and Hinesville)
- Southeast Georgia Health System | 912-466-7222 (Brunswick and Kingsland)
- St. Joseph’s/Candler (Savannah)
- Burke’s Pharmacy | 843-681-2622 (Hilton Head)
- Sam’s Club
- Village Walk Pharmacy | 912-598-8669 (Savannah)
Students in the University System of Georgia have access to COVID-19 vaccination sites on campuses across the state. Visit the USG Vaccination Locator online or take a look below at the information for sites in Savannah and Statesboro.
Savannah State University:
- King Frazier Student Center (3219 College Street)
- Pfizer vaccine
- Register online in advance
Georgia Southern University:
- University Health Service (984 Plant Drive)
- Moderna vaccine on Wednesdays
- Johnson & Johnson vaccine on Thursdays
- Appointments must be made at 912-478-2273 or email@example.com
- Savannah City Council goes caroling to spread holiday cheer
- Family, 5 dogs rescued from Burton home fire
- Sports journalist Grant Wahl dies in Qatar, U.S. Soccer confirms
- Texas bill would ban social media for those under 18
- Benedictine comes up with goal line stand to defeat Cedartown, wins second straight state title