SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – The first shipments of the COVID-19 vaccine arrived in the Coastal Empire and Lowcountry in mid-December.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued emergency use authorization for the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines, which require two shots of the same product, as well as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen, which requires just one shot.
State health departments have launched online dashboards providing up to date information on vaccines administered:
Am I eligible?
Anyone 12 or older is now eligible to receive the vaccine. However, at this time, Pfizer is the only vaccine approved for adolescents 12 to 18.
Studies by Moderna and Johnson & Johnson are evaluating the safety and effectiveness of vaccines in younger age groups.
All three vaccines — Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson — are available to those 18 and older.
Where can I get the vaccine?
Numerous options are available, from health departments and hospitals to pharmacies and clinics. WSAV has listed out many of those options below, but here are quick links for the state health department vaccine locators and their helplines:
- Georgia Department of Public Health | 888-457-0186
- South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control | 1-866-365-8110
DHEC has expanded its homebound vaccination program to all 46 counties. Call the vaccine information line above to make arrangements.
A COVID-19 vaccination clinic is set for Wednesday, July 28, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Pembroke, at the Cypress Bay Missionary Baptist Church (281 Charles Shuman Road). The Johnson & Johnson will be available for those 18 and up, and Pfizer will be distributed to those 12 and up. Registration is available online here and walk-ins are welcome.
Savannah vaccination sites
Call 311 for registration help or with questions
Appointments are available at the Savannah Civic Center and through mobile vaccination pop-up clinics around the city.
- Savannah Civic Center
- 301 W Oglethorpe Ave.
- Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Moderna vaccine
- Appointments are strongly encouraged
- Register online here
- Savannah mobile vaccination pop-up clinics
- Community sites, businesses and places of worship in Chatham County
- Times vary
- Pre-registration preferred
- Visit here to register and view upcoming clinics
Public health departments
The Southeast Health District serves several counties in the Coastal Empire, including Appling, Bacon, Bulloch, Candler, Coffee, Evans, Jeff Davis, Tattnall, Toombs and Wayne. Visit this link to make an appointment or call 1-855-473-4374.
The Coastal Health District (CHD) serves Bryan, Camden, Chatham, Effingham, Glynn, Liberty, Long and McIntosh counties. Though appointments are recommended, the district is now offering some walk-in hours.
Glynn and Chatham counties are offering Pfizer — the only vaccine approved for those 12 and older — during ongoing clinic hours. Jump to the teen clinic section on this page for availability at other CHD health departments.
Vaccination without an appointment is not guaranteed and is based on availability:
- Bryan County:
- 430 Ledford Street in Pembroke | Monday, 8:30am-12pm and 1-5pm
- 66 Captain Matthew Freeman Drive in Richmond Hill | Monday, 8:30am-12pm and 1-5pm
- Camden County:
- 905 Dilworth Street in St. Marys | Thursday, 9-11:30am and 1-5pm
- 1501 Georgia Avenue in Woodbine | Thursday, 9-11:30am | CLOSED July 8
- Call 1-866-543-6744 to schedule a free ride
- Chatham County (Pfizer):
- 1249 Eisenhower Drive
- Monday-Thursday, 8:30am-2pm and Friday, 8:30am-12pm
- Effingham County:
- 802 Hwy. 199 South in Springfield | Tuesday, 8:30-11:30am and 1-3pm
- Glynn County (Pfizer):
- 2747 Fourth Street in Brunswick
- Monday-Wednesday, 8am-12pm
- Thursday, 8am-12pm and 1pm-6pm
- Friday, 8am-12pm
- Call 1-866-543-6744 to schedule a free ride
- Liberty County:
- 1113 East Oglethorpe Highway in Hinesville | Monday, 8:30-11:30am
- Long County:
- 584 North Macon Street in Ludowici | Thursday, 8:30-11:30am
- McIntosh County:
- 1335 Georgia Hwy. 57 in Townsend | Monday, 8:30am-4:30pm
- Beaufort Memorial (Beaufort)
- Hilton Head Regional Healthcare | 843-689-7282 (Bluffton)
- J.C. Lewis Primary Health Care Center (Savannah)
- Memorial Health (Savannah)
- Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center | 843-789-6900 (Savannah and Hinesville)
- Southeast Georgia Health System | 912-466-7222 (Brunswick and Kingsland)
- St. Joseph’s/Candler (Savannah)
Students in the University System of Georgia now have access to 16 COVID-19 vaccination sites on campuses across the state. Visit the USG Vaccination Locator online or take a look below at the information for sites in Savannah and Statesboro.
Savannah State University:
- King Frazier Student Center (3219 College Street)
- Pfizer vaccine
- Register online in advance
Georgia Southern University:
- University Health Service (984 Plant Drive)
- Moderna vaccine on Wednesdays
- Johnson & Johnson vaccine on Thursdays
- Appointments must be made at 912-478-2273 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- ‘It can be done by anybody’: Examining the art of origami
- Not feeling the glove? Tokyo’s big mitt bullpen carts getting mixed reviews
- Soviet legend on modern gymnastics routines: ‘I’m a little afraid’
- ‘We’re just playing a sport’: US Olympic athletes on mental health challenges
- Senate holds rare Saturday session to work on bipartisan infrastructure bill