SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – The first shipments of the COVID-19 vaccine arrived in the Coastal Empire and Lowcountry in mid-December.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued emergency use authorization for the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines, which require two shots of the same product, as well as Johnson & Johnson, which requires just one shot.
At this time, both Georgia and South Carolina are halting the use of the J&J vaccine as officials investigate reports of potentially dangerous blood clots.
Meanwhile, state health departments have launched online dashboards providing up to date information on vaccines administered:
Am I eligible?
Anyone 16 or older is now eligible to receive the vaccine in Georgia and South Carolina.
At this time, Pfizer is the only vaccine approved for 16- and 17-year-olds. Studies are evaluating the safety and effectiveness of vaccines in younger age groups.
Where can I get the vaccine?
Numerous options are available, from health departments and hospitals to pharmacies and clinics. WSAV has listed out many of those options below, but here are quick links for the state health department vaccine locators and their helplines:
- Georgia Department of Public Health | 888-457-0186
- South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control | 1-866-365-8110
Note: DHEC is working with Agape Care Group to help bring COVID-19 vaccines to homebound individuals. Call the vaccine information line above to make arrangements.
Optim Medical Center-Screven (215 Mims Road) will be holding another drive-thru clinic distributing the Moderna vaccine on Saturday, April 24, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Appointments can be requested online or at 912-629-3555. Patients are asked to enter the drive-thru at the main hospital entrance off of Rocky Ford Road.
The Eichholz Law Firm and Coastal Care Partners/My Nurse Now are hosting vaccine clinics in the law firm’s office parking lot at 318 Eisenhower Drive through April. The Pfizer vaccine will be available. Appointments are available at mynursenow.com.
Wednesday through Friday from 2 to 5 p.m., walk-ins will be accepted at the Buckwalter Recreation Center (905 Buckwalter Pkwy.). The site is run by Hilton Head Regional Healthcare. Appointments can be scheduled outside of walk-in hours on the hospital system’s website.
Savannah’s vaccination sites
Call 311 for registration help or with questions
The Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security Agency is operating nine mass vaccination sites in the state, including one in the Hostess City at Gulfstream Aerospace (2 Innovation Dr.).
Appointments are not required for the Savannah site, but pre-registration can be completed on myvaccinegeorgia.com.
Chatham County, in partnership with local universities, faith-based organizations and nonprofits, is providing free transportation. Make a reservation by calling 912-856-4563 on weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Reservations must be made by 3 p.m. the day prior to your appointment. ADA-accessible vans and buses are available upon request.
Para leer esta información en español, haga clic aquí.
The Pfizer vaccine, the only vaccine eligible for those 16 and 17, is available at all state sites.
Appointments are available at two other vaccination sites in Savannah, one downtown and another on the Southside:
- Savannah Civic Center
- 301 W Oglethorpe Ave.
- Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Moderna vaccine
- Appointments are encouraged but are not needed
- Register on the Hospice Savannah website
- Armstrong Center at Georgia Southern University
- 13040 Abercorn St.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Moderna vaccine
- Appointments required
- Register online here
- Accessible via CAT Bus Route 14 Abercorn Local
Public health departments
The Southeast Health District serves several counties in the Coastal Empire, including Appling, Bacon, Bulloch, Candler, Coffee, Evans, Jeff Davis, Tattnall, Toombs and Wayne. Visit this link to make an appointment or call 1-855-473-4374.
- Beaufort Memorial (waitlist)
- Hilton Head Regional Healthcare | 843-689-7282 (Bluffton)
- J.C. Lewis Primary Health Care Center (Savannah)
- Memorial Health (Savannah)
- Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center | 843-789-6900 (Savannah and Hinesville)
- Southeast Georgia Health System | 912-466-7222 (Brunswick and Kingsland)
- St. Joseph’s/Candler (Savannah)
- SC hate crime bill backers realize time running out
- PODCAST Ep. 65: Spring sports playoffs, Savannah Morning News’ McClain Baxley
- Indy 500 to host 135,000 in largest sports event in pandemic
- Savannah State earns spot in inaugural Black College World Series
- Savannah celebrates Earth Day throughout April