SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the two-shot Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine (or Comirnaty) for individuals 16 years of age and older.
The vaccine is also available under emergency use authorization for individuals age 12 to 15 and for the third dose in certain immunocompromised individuals.
The first shipments of the COVID-19 vaccine arrived in the Coastal Empire and Lowcountry in mid-December
State health departments have since launched online dashboards providing up to date information on vaccines administered:
Am I eligible?
Anyone 12 or older is now eligible to receive the vaccine. However, at this time, Pfizer is the only vaccine approved for adolescents 12 to 18.
Studies by Moderna and Johnson & Johnson are evaluating the safety and effectiveness of vaccines in younger age groups.
All three vaccines — Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson — are available to those 18 and older.
Only certain populations are eligible for a Pfizer booster shot at this time, including those 18 and older with underlying medical conditions, elderly individuals, residents in long-term care settings and those with at-risk occupations.
Where can I get the vaccine?
Numerous options are available, from health departments and hospitals to pharmacies and clinics. WSAV has listed out many of those options below, but here are quick links for the state health department vaccine locators and their helplines:
- Georgia Department of Public Health | 888-457-0186
- South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control | 1-866-365-8110
DHEC has expanded its homebound vaccination program to all 46 counties. Call the vaccine information line above to make arrangements.
Georgia residents who are homebound can email HVS@dph.ga.gov with the following information for the person requiring an at-home vaccination: name, date of birth, address, city, county and phone number.
- Hardeeville Recreation Center
- 285 John Smith Rd.
- Oct. 23
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Savannah-Chatham County Public School System and St. Joseph’s/Candler
- Unity of Savannah
- 2320 Sunset Blvd.
- Sunday, Oct. 24
- 12 to 3 p.m.
- Healthy Savannah and Kingdom Life’s Fall Festival
- 425 W Montgomery Cross Rd.
- Sunday, Oct. 31
- 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
St. Joseph’s/Candler (SJ/C) is offering free rides to COVID-19 vaccination appointments through Sept. 30.
The first step is booking an appointment with the Chatham County Health Department at 912-230-5506 or covid19.gachd.org/vaccine. Once your appointment is scheduled, call the SJ/C Transportation Assistance line at 912-819-2883, available Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Officials ask you to call at least three hours before your appointment. Rides can be scheduled as early as a week in advance.
Yellow Cab Company will be providing the transportation. SJ/C says the cab will pick you up, take you to your appointment and wait for you to get your vaccine. Masks are required, and the Yellow Cab Company can refuse to pick up anyone who refuses to comply.
Camden, Glynn and McIntosh counties
Residents in Camden, Glynn, or McIntosh counties who have an appointment to get the COVID-19 vaccine but don’t have access to transportation can call 1-866-543-6744 for a free ride to and from the appointment.
The Brunswick (GA) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated received a $4,500 grant to provide transportation for residents of these three counties.
Savannah vaccination sites
Call 311 for registration help or with questions
The vaccination clinic downtown recently moved from the Savannah Civic Center to one of the Savannah Fire Department stations:
- 121 E Oglethorpe Ave.
- Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines
- Appointments given priority over walk-ups
- Register online here
CORE (Community Organized Relief Effort) is also operating mobile vaccination pop-up clinics around the city:
- Community sites, businesses and places of worship in Chatham County
- Times vary
- Pre-registration preferred
- Visit here to register and view upcoming clinics
Public health departments
The Southeast Health District serves several counties in the Coastal Empire, including Appling, Bacon, Bulloch, Candler, Coffee, Evans, Jeff Davis, Tattnall, Toombs and Wayne. Visit this link to make an appointment or call 1-855-473-4374.
The Coastal Health District (CHD) serves Bryan, Camden, Chatham, Effingham, Glynn, Liberty, Long and McIntosh counties. Though appointments are recommended, the district is now offering some walk-in hours.
Vaccination without an appointment is not guaranteed and is based on availability:
- Bryan County:
- 430 Ledford Street in Pembroke | Monday, 8:30am-12pm and 1-5pm
- 66 Captain Matthew Freeman Drive in Richmond Hill | Monday, 8:30am-12pm and 1-5pm
- Camden County:
- 905 Dilworth Street in St. Marys | Thursday, 9-11:30am and 1-5pm
- 1501 Georgia Avenue in Woodbine | Thursday, 9-11:30am | CLOSED July 8
- Call 1-866-543-6744 to schedule a free ride
- Chatham County (Pfizer):
- 1249 Eisenhower Drive
- Monday-Thursday, 8:30am-2pm and Friday, 8:30am-12pm
- Effingham County:
- 802 Hwy. 199 South in Springfield | Tuesday, 8:30-11:30am and 1-3pm
- Glynn County (Pfizer):
- 2747 Fourth Street in Brunswick
- Monday-Wednesday, 8am-12pm
- Thursday, 8am-12pm and 1pm-6pm
- Friday, 8am-12pm
- Call 1-866-543-6744 to schedule a free ride
- Liberty County:
- 1113 East Oglethorpe Highway in Hinesville | Monday, 8:30-11:30am
- Long County:
- 584 North Macon Street in Ludowici | Thursday, 8:30-11:30am
- McIntosh County:
- 1335 Georgia Hwy. 57 in Townsend | Monday, 8:30am-4:30pm
- Beaufort Memorial (Beaufort)
- Hilton Head Regional Healthcare | 843-689-7282 (Bluffton)
- J.C. Lewis Primary Health Care Center (Savannah)
- Memorial Health (Savannah)
- Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center | 843-789-6900 (Savannah and Hinesville)
- Southeast Georgia Health System | 912-466-7222 (Brunswick and Kingsland)
- St. Joseph’s/Candler (Savannah)
- Burke’s Pharmacy | 843-681-2622 (Hilton Head)
- Sam’s Club
- Village Walk Pharmacy | 912-598-8669 (Savannah)
Students in the University System of Georgia now have access to 16 COVID-19 vaccination sites on campuses across the state. Visit the USG Vaccination Locator online or take a look below at the information for sites in Savannah and Statesboro.
Savannah State University:
- King Frazier Student Center (3219 College Street)
- Pfizer vaccine
- Register online in advance
Georgia Southern University:
- University Health Service (984 Plant Drive)
- Moderna vaccine on Wednesdays
- Johnson & Johnson vaccine on Thursdays
- Appointments must be made at 912-478-2273 or email@example.com
Coastal Care Partners is now administering the third COVID-19 vaccine dose to immunocompromised individuals
Vaccinations (third dose for immunocompromised as well as initial doses):
- Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., 7072 Hodgson Memorial Drive
- Monday – Saturday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., 4 B Skidaway Village Walk
Schedule a vaccination by going to ccnvax.com.
For more information about Coastal Care Partners, visit coastalcarepartners.com.
- Lost your vaccination card? Here’s how to get a replacement
- Game of the Week visits Hilton Head Christian for first time since move to new campus
- Meet the candidates: Former Savannah Mayor Edna Jackson vies for District 165 seat
- Bidens honor 2020, 2021 National Teachers of the Year
- 14-year-old boy fatally shot at suburban Atlanta party