SAVANNAH, Ga (WSAV) – Neighbors told News 3 they are still in shock over the death of Brandon Williams, 33. Officials from the Savannah Fire Department said he died after an early morning fire in East Savannah on Saturday.
Neighbors described Williams as a nice person, who was not a stranger to anyone.
Fred Anderson, the Savannah Fire Rescue Chief Investigator, said the victim appeared to have fallen asleep while smoking.
Crews responded to the report of a fire at an East 37th Street duplex around 2 a.m. on Saturday. According to the report, the residents fled their unit due to heavy smoke. They said they tried to alert their downstairs neighbor, but no one answered the door.
Dana Thomas told News 3 she was just with Williams on Thursday at the bus stop, waiting for her son to come home from school. She said her own house caught on fire five years ago from a discarded cigarette.
“I’m always just paranoid, I don’t want to wake up to smoke and fire. It’s just dangerous and it’s scary cause once the fire starts it’s hard to stop it. All I can hope is that when [Brandon] passed it was quick because he was a good guy.”
This was one of around eight fires over the weekend. Fire officials say, most were preventable.