COLUMBIA, S.C. (WSPA) – Ahead of Saturday’s primary, a new statewide poll shows former Vice President Joe Biden with a commanding lead over his competitors in South Carolina.
According to a Nexstar Media South Carolina TV Stations/Emerson College Poll, Former Vice President Joe Biden received 41.4%, Bernie Sanders received 24.8%, followed by Pete Buttigieg with 11.1%, Tom Steyer with 10.8%, Amy Klobuchar with 5.5%, Elizabeth Warren 4.7% and Tulsi Gabbard with 1.8%.
Candidates must receive at least 15% of the vote Saturday to qualify for any delegates.
The survey was conducted on February 26 and February 27 following Tuesday’s debate and included 550 people. Women made up 59.3% of survey respondents, while men represented 40.7% of the survey.
75.3% of those surveyed identified as Democrat, 20.5% as Independent/other and 4.2% as Republican.
The margin of error for the poll is plus or minus 4.1%
On Wednesday, Joe Biden secured the endorsement of Rep. James Clyburn, the highest-ranking black member of Congress and crucial endorsement in the state.
The poll also asked, If Mike Bloomberg had been on the ballot, would you have voted for him?
- Yes 117 21.3%
- No 433 78.7%
Biden would lose 22% of his supporters and would drop from 41.4% to 32% overall.
Sanders would lose 10% of his support and would drop from 24.8% to 22% overall.
Buttegieg would lose 18% of his support and would drop from 11% to 9%.
Steyer would lose 34% of his support and would drop from 10.8% to 7%.
The poll also asked other political hot topic questions:
The South Carolina State Senate is currently debating the Fetal Heart Bill which would prohibit abortion once a fetal heartbeat can be detected. Do you support or opposed the Fetal Heart Bill?
- Support 170 31% (31% of Men) (31% of Women)
- Oppose 274 49.8% (46% of Men) (52% of Women)
- Undecided 91 16.6% (22% of Men) (12% of Women)
Which of the following marijuana policies do you favor?
- Keeping Marijuana illegal 75 13.7% (17% of Men) (11% of Women)
- Medical Purposes Only 159 28.9% (28% of Men) (29% of Women)
- Decriminalizing, Like a Traffic Ticket 94 17% (12% of Men) (20% of Women)
- Full legalization (sales/distribution/use) 222 40.4% (42% of Men) (39% of Women)
Do you support a 4% raise for teachers?
- Yes 493 89.5% (91% of Men) (89% of Women)
- No 28 5.1% (5% of Men) (5% of Women)
- Unsure 29 5.3%
Additional results from the poll will be released Friday morning on Yout Local Election Headquarters.