SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – Nine local businesses failed Savannah Police Department alcohol compliance checks this week.
The Alcohol Beverage Compliance (ABC) Unit visited 20 businesses, ranging from restaurants to convenience stores, to determine if they comply with Georgia alcohol sales laws.
According to SPD, nine of the businesses failed the operation.
The managers or licensees of the establishments were notified of the alcohol sold, that the buyer was underage, if the buyer was checked for identification, how the alcohol was served or sold, and what actions would be taken by law enforcement.
According to the City of Savannah’s Alcohol Beverage Ordinance, a first offense results in a minimum fine of $500. A second offense, if within 12 months of the first, results in a $750 fine. A third offense, if within 18 months of the first, results in a $1,000 fine.
Any further offense, if within 24 months of the first, results in issuance of a notice to appear to show cause for why the establishment’s alcohol license should not be revoked.
The following businesses failed and were cited:
- The Lady and Sons, 102 W. Congress St.
- Naan on Broughton, 114 E. Broughton St.
- Savannah World of Beer, 112 W. Broughton St.
- White Whale Craft Ale, 1207 Bull St.
- Cha-Del’s Beverage, 2315 Bull St.
- Corner Stop, 2014 Waters Ave.
- Penny Saver, 2209 Waters Ave.
- Chu’s, 2 W. DeRenne Ave.
- Maddio’s Pizza, 7805 Abercorn St., Suite 2
The following businesses passed and will receive letters of congratulations from SPD:
- Andaz, 14 Barnard St.
- Broughton Street Liquor, 414 W. Broughton St.
- Better Than Sex Dessert Bar, 410 W. Broughton St.
- BP/Timesaver, 502 W. Bay St.
- The Portal, 408 W. Broughton St.
- Homewood Suites, 611 E. River St.
- Wheaton Street Liquor, 1218 Wheaton St.
- Foxy Loxy, 1919 Bull St.
- 520 Tavern, 8820 Abercorn St.
- Quick Stop #1, 1419 Abercorn St.
- VICE Lounge + Mojito Bar, 109 W. Broughton St.
Savannah Police said the ABC unit plans to remain vigilant in its efforts and urges businesses to train their staff on the law and implications of failure to comply with the law.