MIDWAY, Ga. (WSAV) – A woman and an 11-year-old girl were killed in a two-vehicle crash Wednesday night in Midway on East Oglethorpe Highway near Bill Carter Road.
According to Georgia State Patrol Trooper Markus White, the victims have been identified as Rebecca Dixon, 30, and Olivia Jordan, 11, both of Midway. They were traveling with Olivia’s 4-year-old sister and mother.
White said it appears the mom, who was driving a Chevy Trailblazer, made a left turn into the path of a Jeep Cherokee that was traveling westbound towards Hinesville when the collision occurred.
John Slappy, a Midway resident, was in the area when the crash happened and rushed over to help.
Slappy said the 4-year-old asked him to take her out of her car seat. He stayed with her until emergency medical personnel arrived.
Two people had to be extricated from the vehicles, according to Liberty County Fire Services Chief Bryan Darby. One adult was flown to Memorial Health by helicopter.
The man and woman in the Jeep Cherokee, along with the 4-year-old, were transported to Memorial by ambulance.
As of Saturday, the man remains hospitalized. White said the children’s mother remains in ICU.
Portions of the westbound lane of East Oglethorpe Highway were closed for several hours Wednesday while members of the Georgia State Patrol Specialized Collision Reconstruction Team conducted an investigation.
- Norfolk to Savannah: Group of friends takes 800-mile bike ride to bring awareness to cancer
- RBC Heritage Day 3: Cink maintains lead, Morikawa to play in final pairing
- Saint James Catholic Church hosts monthly drive-thru food pantry
- In Minneapolis, armed patrol group tries to keep the peace
- Navalny’s doctor: Putin critic ‘could die at any moment’