SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) — The Fourth of July celebrates the signing of the Declaration of Independence of the U.S. on July 4, 1776.
The Continental Congress proclaimed the original 13 colonies free of the monarch of Britain, King George III two days before and made it official on the fourth.
Check out a list of local Fourth of July celebrations below:
Independence Day Fireworks Show on River Street
- The Savannah Waterfront Association is hosting the annual fireworks display on Sunday at 9:15 p.m.
- The city will be offering flat rate $5 parking in garages and the Savannah Convention Center will offer $5 self parking.
- Spectators on the waterfront are encouraged to bring chairs and blankets; however, coolers are discouraged.
Freedom Rings Celebration in Rincon
- The celebration starts Saturday at 11 a.m. on June 26 in Freedom Park.
- A parade kicks off the celebration and attendees can enjoy food and a fireworks show.
- Gov. Brian Kemp will also attend the event.
Tybee Island Fireworks on Independence Day
- The fireworks show kicks off Sunday at 9:15 p.m. on the island’s pier but can be viewed from any of the Island’s eastern beaches, according to officials.
- Falcon Fireworks will light up the sky with nearly $20,000 worth of fireworks in the nation’s colors.
The 200 Club of the Coastal Empire semi-annual Boston Butt fundraiser
- Purchases will benefit the families of fallen first responders. The club said it’s selling 5-pound Boston butts that cost $30 each.
- Those who place orders can pick them up at the Chatham County Sheriff’s Complex at 1050 Carl Griffin Dr. from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. on July 2.
“The Boston butt sale is an event that our supporters have come to look forward to every time it rolls around. We are thankful for the traffic that this event brings in, helping us continue to provide for our fallen heroes’ families,” Two Hundred Club President Mark Dana said. “We want to say a huge thank you to the Chatham County Sheriff’s Office for hosting our pick-up each year. We hope that local residents continue to support our mission by donating and purchasing a Boston butt to enjoy on 4th of July weekend.”
Plant Riverside District’s Savannah Stars and Stripes July 4th Weekend
- Starting Friday, the four-day Savannah Stars and Stripes July 4th Weekend will offer live music and performances by Savannah Cirque, food and drinks, mini-golf, a boat parade and more.
- The boat parade kicks off Saturday from 3 to 5 p.m. with more than 40 boats dressed in red, white and blue competing for prizes.
- Plant Riverside District is also sponsoring Savannah’s Waterfront fireworks show on Sunday at 9:15 p.m.
- Some other performances include Lyn Avenue, The Talisman and Dueling Pianos and the Fabulous Equinox Orchestra from 6 to 9:30 p.m.
Hilton Head Island’s HarbourFest Fireworks show
- Falcon fireworks will light up the skies on the island Sunday
- Cappy the Clown will be painting faces, making balloon animals and sand art, doing glitter tattoos among other games and activities from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Shannon Tanner will sing popular songs and perform patriotic shows from 6:30 and 8 p.m.
- Free shuttle bus rides are also available from 5:30 to 10:30 p.m.
The Sea Pines Resorts’ Salute From the Shore
- Residents can make their way to South Carolina beaches for a military flyover Sunday.
- The aircraft are expected to reach the beach club around 1:30 p.m.
- Vintage military planes will also fly by around 1:45 p.m.
Hardeeville’s 4th Off Main
- The event kicks off Saturday, June 26, at 6 p.m. going until 9 p.m. at the Richard Gray Recreation Complex Park.
- Local band Muddy Creek will perform live.
- Attendees can enjoy food trucks while getting their faces painted or competing in a life-sized game of Jenga.
- The night will end with a fireworks show.