Two Statesboro schools could soon share one same campus

Local News

STATESBORO, Ga. (WSAV)- Plans to relocate the Statesboro campus of East Georgia State College are in the works.

The new location would be down the road on the grounds of Georgia Southern University. 

The president of EGSC, Bob Boehmer, said  talks to move the campus have been brought up since he became president of the school in 2011.

He said the potential move would be  helpful to EGSC students since 75 percent of their classes are at EGSC, and the other 25 percent are at Georgia Southern University.  

“Putting our students physically on Georgia Southern University campus where those key services are located is the most efficient thing to do. But, most importantly it is the the thing that is most likely to result in those students being academically successful,” Boehmer said.

He also added the move would allow his students to use Georgia Southern facilities such as the library and  recreation center.

Boehmer also said this potential move is one he hopes could help the area.

“The big picture though is we think that’ll result in more transfers from East Georgia, to Georgia Southern University. And, we think that’ll result in more graduates from Georgia Southern University and more contribution to the local workforce,” Boehmer said.

Boehmer said he’ll find out if this plan is approved this coming spring.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss