No SC lockdown but McMaster orders visitors to quarantine

South Carolina News

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WSAV) – Governor Henry McMaster was joined Friday by Senator Lindsey Graham, Senator Tim Scott and state public health officials for a media briefing to update the public on the state’s response to COVID-19.

The governor did not call for a statewide lockdown but did announce his latest executive order, directing all visitors coming to South Carolina from several “hot spot” areas immediately self-quarantine for two weeks upon arrival.

McMaster said he was mandating self-isolation for anyone traveling to the state from Connecticut, New York and New Jersey, as well as the city of New Orleans.

Violations could result in up to 30 days in jail.

Also on Friday, U.S. Rep. Joe Cunningham said he had been diagnosed with the virus, and the director of the state public health agency announced he was taking medical leave to treat high blood pressure.

Meanwhile, the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control reported more than 80 new cases of the virus along with four new deaths Friday. Locally, at least six new cases were seen in Beaufort County.

Local leaders, including many in Beaufort County, called on the governor this week to consider a stay at home order.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories