Savannah Fire Rescue: Deep freezer believed to be cause of morning blaze

Local News

SAVANNAH, Ga (WSAV) – Savannah Fire Investigators say they believe a Friday morning house fire on Speir Street was sparked by a deep freezer at the rear of the home.

According to officials, Savannah Fire Rescue responded just after 1 a.m. Friday to the report of a fire at 2006 Speir St.

Firefighters discovered heavy smoke and flames streaming from the rear of a large, two-story house. 

The fire extended to an apartment at the back of the structure.  

Savannah Fire Rescue says the blaze displaced 5 people. Officials says a family dog named Sammy alerted the people inside the house to the fire.

The fire killed three pets, a dog and two cats.

The house sustained extensive smoke and fire damage. 

Savannah Fire recommends that residents install smoke alarms on every level of their home, and regularly test them.

Firefighters will install free smoke alarms and batteries in the homes of Savannah residents.

They will also check for home fire hazards.

Call 912-651-6756 to request a smoke alarm or home fire safety survey.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories