SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – In the last week, the Savannah Fire Department has added the first five red lights to its safety wreath, each representing a holiday fire.
The fifth bulb was added on Tuesday following a porch fire in the 1000 block of Shawnee Street just before noon. Firefighters say the suspected cause was “a carelessly discarded cigarette.”
The fire was quickly extinguished and no one was injured or displaced.
Through Jan. 2, the department will be swapping out a green bulb for a red one each time a fire occurs and issuing safety reminders to “keep the wreath green” throughout the holiday season.
In light of Tuesday’s fire, Savannah Fire encourages residents to follow this advice:
- If you smoke, smoke outside away from your home
- Carefully extinguish smoking materials in a deep ashtray or sand
- Never flick cigarettes out windows or into the yard
- Never smoke in bed or while sleepy
The department is also offering free smoke alarms, smoke alarm batteries and home fire safety surveys to Savannahians. Call 912-651-6756 for more information.
- SCCPSS sees high COVID-19 positivity rates among staff, discusses how to reopen schools safely
- Fort Stewart soldier accused in plot to blow up 9/11 Memorial makes first court appearance
- Man arrested after allegedly stalking, killing Hinesville woman
- “He always jumped in and competed” Georgia Southern’s Lunsford has high praise for former kicker Tyler Bass
- ‘America needs to lead the way’: Democrats pleased with Biden’s first day in office, Republicans frustrated