Refrigerator causes fire at vacant Savannah home

Local News

via Savannah Fire Department, @savannahfire on Twitter

SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – A refrigerator caused a fire Wednesday afternoon at a house on Adair Street, according to the Savannah Fire Department.

Officials said no one was home at the time of the fire, but renters were scheduled to move in later in the day.

Crews arrived shortly after 1:30 p.m. to find smoke and flames streaming from the home’s kitchen window.

Savannah Fire officials said firefighters worked quickly to prevent the fire from extending to other parts of the house.

According to the department, this marks the second fire of the holiday season. The first was a small fire at Sakura Buffet on Monday.

As a visual safety reminder for the season, Savannah Fire is tracking each holiday fire on a wreath outside of their headquarters on East Oglethorpe Street.

The department is also offering free smoke alarm installations or alarm batteries (call 912-651-6756 to set that up) and sharing safety reminders on their social media platforms to prevent holiday fires.

In light of the Adair Street incident, Savannah Fire offered the following advice:

  • Plug major appliances directly into a wall outlet
  • Never use an extension cord with major appliances
  • Position refrigerators where they are not exposed to rainwater or spills
  • Make sure there is space behind the refrigerator for air to circulate
  • Regularly check the refrigerator plug and socket for burn marks, arching sounds and excessive heat

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories