Ellabell woman killed in dryer vent fire

Local News

via Georgia’s Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner

ELLABELL, Ga. (WSAV) – Officials say a dryer vent clogged with lint caused a fatal fire on Monday in Ellabell.

According to Georgia’s Office of Insurance and Safety Fire, the victim has been identified as Mary Huerd, 73, of Ellabell. She’s the first person in the state this year to die in a fire.

Her body was found near the laundry room where officials say the fire started.

“The origin of the fire was behind the dryer from an improperly vented dryer duct,” Safety Fire Commissioner John King stated. “The dryer’s exhaust ignited trapped clothing lint which started the fire.”

A 911 call about the fire came in at 3:50 p.m. Monday. Bryan County Fire and Emergency Services units responded to a mobile home at 6405 Highway 204 where the residence was fully engulfed in flames and heavy smoke.

Once units got the fire under control, crews found Huerd deceased.

Officials say the 40-year-old, single-wide mobile home was completely destroyed by the fire. King added that there were no smoke detectors found in the residence.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation will be conducting an autopsy on Huerd.

The Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner’s Office is assisting Bryan County Emergency Services, the Bryan County Sheriff’s Office and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and explosives with the investigation.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Trending Stories