SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) — It’s tax season, and experts are warning Americans to expect delays.
An Internal Revenue Services (IRS) worker shortage coupled with pandemic-related changes is to blame for the significant backlog. The IRS is still processing more than 11 million tax returns from last year.
Electronic filing and setting up direct deposit is the fastest way to get a refund. IRS said most taxpayers should get refunds within 21 days with the April 18 deadline to file.
Listed below are local tax professionals to help you prepare your taxes for free.
Neighborhood Improvement Association
- Located at 1812 Abercorn St., Savannah, Ga.
- Open Monday through Wednesday from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., Thursday from noon to 8 p.m., Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and then Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Phone number: 912-447-5577
United Way of Effingham County-Rincon
- Located at 711 Zitterour Dr., Rincon, Ga.
- Open Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
St. Mary’s Community Center
- Located at 812 West 36th St., Savannah, Ga.
- Open Monday through Wednesday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon.
- Phone number: 912-447-0578
Economic Opportunity Authority
- Located at 618 W Anderson St.. Savannah, Ga.
- Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Phone number: 912-238-2960 Ext. #145
Savannah Technical College
- Located on the Savannah Campus at 5717 White Bluff Rd.
- Open Tuesday only from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Pembroke Public Library
- Located at 1018 Camellia Dr., Pembroke, Ga.
- Open Tuesday from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
First Baptist of Richmond Hill
- Located on 83 Rushing Street, Richmond Hill, Ga.
- Open Wednesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
United Way-Liberty County
- Located at 301 Olive Street, Hinesville, Ga.
- Open Thursday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Volunteer Tax Income Assistance – Hinesville
- Live Oak Public Library at 236 W. Memorial Drive
- Open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Volunteer Tax Income Assistance – Savannah
- Live Oak Public Library at 2002 Bull Street
- Open Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Hispanic Community Center-Savannah — March 5 only
- Located at 1 Gamble Rd., Savannah, Ga.
- Open March 5 only from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Beaufort Library — begins Feb. 7
- Located at 311 Scott St., Beaufort, SC
- Open Mondays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Bluffton Library — begins Feb. 7
- Located at 120 Palmetto Way, Bluffton, SC
- Open Mondays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. by appointment only
Lobeco Library — begins Feb. 5
- Located at 1862 Trask Parkway, Seabrook, SC
- Open Saturdays from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
St. Helena Library
- Located at 6355 Jonathan Francis Senior Road, St. Helena Island, SC
- Open on Wednesdays from 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
The Deep Well Project
- Located at 80 Capital Dr., Hilton Head Island, SC
- Open on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Located at 451 A. Wilson St., Ridgeland, SC 29936
- Open on Fridays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. (bilingual tax preparer available)
- Located at 30 Main St., Hardeeville, SC 29927
- Open on Tuesdays from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.