The heavy rainfall has created concern for many in the Coastal Empire.
Humidity and standing water tend to be breeding grounds for mosquitoes.
The Georgia Department of Public Health has issued safety advice to protect against the dangerous viruses mosquitoes can carry.
– Dump standing water near your home and yard. After rainfall, dump any saucers under outdoor plants and kiddie pools. Standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
– Make sure the doors and windows of your home are shut properly to prevent mosquitoes from entering.
– Avoid dawn and dusk activities. Mosquitoes are most active during these two points of the day.
– Wear loose-fitting clothing like long sleeves and pants. Try to cover up as much skin as possible.
– Any exposed parts of your body should be sprayed with an insect repellant containing deet.