Coroner IDs worker recovered from Savannah River

Local News

SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – Officials have identified a missing construction crew member who fell off a boat in the Savannah River on Wednesday. His body was found a day later.

The worker has been identified as William Krautwald, of Richmond Hill. He was 37 years old.

According to the Georgia Ports Authority (GPA), he was contracted to do dock renovations at the Garden City Terminal.

“It was reported to GPA by Chatham County Police that the body of the accident victim was found last night. Our hearts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the victim,” the Authority said in a statement.

According to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, around 7:30 p.m. Thursday, a fisherman spotted a body in the river. Game wardens recovered the body.

Krautwald was identified on Friday morning by the coroner.

Original story:

SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – Officials say one construction crew member who fell off a boat Wednesday has been recovered safely from the Savannah River and another likely did not survive.

According to the Georgia Ports Authority, the two workers fell into the river around 1 p.m. Both are employed by a construction company contracted to do dock renovations at the Garden City Terminal.

Savannah Fire Rescue said they arrived around 2:30 p.m. to aid in rescue efforts. The department added they worked along with the U.S. Coast Guard, Chatham County Marine Patrol, Georgia Ports Police and Garden City Fire to search for the worker.

Savannah Fire said they searched “in the areas around the dock and barge where the worker was last seen,” adding, “he was not found.”

courtesy Savannah Fire Rescue

The Chatham County Police Department (CCPD) tells News 3 rescue efforts turned to search and recovery efforts, and as of Wednesday evening, it’s likely the worker did not survive.

The department said Marine Patrol suspended their search due to nightfall and the safety of the recovery team.

CCPD says the Georgia Department of Natural Resources and U.S. Coast Guard will stay on the scene overnight, as is protocol.

Chatham County Marine Patrol’s search and recovery efforts will continue Thursday morning.

“Georgia Ports Authority would like to express its sincere concern for the wellbeing of the two men involved in the accident,” a spokesperson for the Georgia Ports Authority stated.

This story is developing. News 3 will keep you updated on-air and online.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories