BEAUFORT, S.C. (WSAV) – Students at Beaufort High School were sent home early on Thursday due to a gas leak.
According to the Beaufort County School District, “a strong propane odor” was detected in the gym around 8:30 a.m.
The fire department quicly arrived on the scene, and by 8:35 the building was evacuated.
According to the district, the fire chief later advised that students be sent home, as it would take some time to clear the building.
Parents were notified and 32 school buses returned to the school to take students home.
“Our personnel did an excellent job keeping our students safe,” said Superintendent Frank Rodriguez. “This is why drills are so important. So, when a situation arises you’re ready.”
The preliminary investigation determined the cause of the leak was related to an issue with a pipe. The district says repairs are underway.