SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV)– According to reports, bridges from Glynn County to Chatham County are icing over and accidents are forcing authorities to close bridges and roads. As of Jan. 4, there have been the following reports;Beaufort County: UPDATED Jan. 4
- I-95 near Hardeeville blocked.
- Cross Island Parkway closed.
- McTeer Bridge closed.
- Rose Dhu Bridge closed.
- Sol Blatt Bridge closed.
- The Woods Memorial Bridge is closed
Bryan County: NOT UPDATED
- Viaducts on Hwy 17 closed
- Harris Trail closed
- Morgans Bridge
- Ogeegee River Bridge on Hwy 80 near Pembroke is iced over.
- Hwy 204 and Hwy 280 east at Pembroke have black ice.
- Icy conditions on I-95 Southbound at SR 25/US 17/Ocean Highway (Mile 87). All lanes affected. Expected clearance time: today 7:49 AM.
- Multiple accidents reported at I-95 near Richmond Hill
- Fort Stewart police officials have reported icy roads on the bridges on highways 144 and 119. Please advise motorists to stay off the highways and to seek alternate routes if they absolutely must drive.
Chatham County: UPDATED Jan. 4For the latest on road closures in Savannah and Chatham County, go to http://www.chathamcounty.org/road-closure
- Westbound connector remains closed.
- The Talmadge Bridge northbound lanes
- Truman Parkway
- E. President Street drawbridge is closed.
- Bay St Viaduct
- Houlihan Bridge – Hwy 25 (Port Wentworth)
- Hwy 80 viaduct @ Alfred
- Hwy 80/ Suncrest
- I-516 Ramp @ Bay St
- Islands Expressway – President Street Bridge (Causton Bluff (Sam Varnedoe) Bridge)
- Jimmy Deloach Parkway from Morgan Lakes to Hwy 80
- Jimmy Deloach Pkwy@ I-16 overpass
- Liberty Pkwy @ ACL Blvd
- Littleneck Overpass (Over I-95)
- PINE BARREN @ INTERSTATE 95
- POOLER PARKWAY AT SH MORGAN NORTH BOUND
- Price St & 35th St
- Quacco Rd @ I-95
- Quacco Road @ Interstate 95 Bridge
- River Street
Effingham County: UPDATED Jan. 4
Effingham County is under a Winter Weather Advisory until 11 a.m. on Jan. 4: black ice will continue to make roads dangerous for travel until temperatures warm above freezing. Effingham County EMA is monitoring conditions across the county. They are asking all citizens to stay OFF the roadways as conditions are too dangerous for travel. Meltwater from yesterday has frozen over, resulting in widespread black ice. The snow packs on the road have hardened and will make driving very difficult. Lanes and the road shoulders are difficult to see, creating a risk for collisions and/or skidding.
• Current conditions across Effingham: temperatures averaging 24° with 2.5-3.5″ of snow accumulation remaining over a thick layer of ice.
• The Effingham County Board of Education has cancelled classes and all school related activities for Thursday, January 4. Please continue to check with the Effingham County BOE website (www.effinghamschools.com) or Facebook page for additional updates.
• The Effingham County Board of Commissioners, all Effingham County Courts and government offices for the cities of Guyton, Rincon, and Springfield have extended office closures through the whole of Thursday, January 4. Offices will reopen under normal business hours Friday, January 5.
This information and updates are available at 912-754-8206.Glynn County:
- There is an accident on the Sidney Lanier Bridge and it’s icy on the bridge. DOT is trying to get some trucks.
- There is currently an accident in the east-bound lane of the F.J. Torras Causeway and multiple accidents on I-95.
- I-95 Both Directions: MILE POST 38. Expected clearance at 9 a.m.
- I-95 SB at milemarker 4: all lanes blocked due to overturned tractor trailer. Hardeeville PD on scene investigating.
- Overpass at Exit 8 is closed in both directions.
- Accident; I-95 NB: SR 251/Briardam Road (MP 45), McIntosh Co, all lanes blocked, Expected cleared: 7:22AM.
- I-95 Southbound at SR 251/Briardam Road (Mile 49): All lanes blocked. Expected clearance time: today 10:04 a.m.
- All bridges on hwy 280, 292 are closed
- Roads are starting to ice over
- Bridges over creeks are also icing
- No roads closed
- Anticipate icing later