UPDATE: Zaxby’s operator says health department approves ‘restaurant for continued operations’

Health News

SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – A food handler at the Zaxby’s on Ogeechee Road has been diagnosed with a case of hepatitis A, according to public health officials.

The Chatham County Health Department says customers at the restaurant at 5971 Ogeechee Road may have been exposed to the viral infection of the liver in late March to early April.

“It is relatively rare for restaurant patrons to become infected with hepatitis A virus due to an
infected food handler,” a statement from the health department reads. “However, anyone who consumed food and/or drink at the restaurant between March 29 and April 3 should watch for the symptoms of hepatitis A infection.”

Below is also a statement from the licensed Zaxby’s operator at the 5971 Ogeechee Road in Savannah, GA location:

An inspection by the Coastal Health District of the GA Department of Public Health has approved this restaurant for continued operations after a team member’s diagnosis with hepatitis A. Chatham Foods, LLC, a licensed operator of the Zaxby’s located at 5971 Ogeechee Road in Savannah, GA is working with the health department to vaccinate employees as an additional safety measure. According to the health department, it is relatively rare for restaurant patrons to become infected with hepatitis A virus due to an infected food handler. Chatham Foods, LLC dba Zaxby’s is committed to the health and safety of our team members and guests, and we are working closely with health officials as we continue to monitor this situation.

Symptoms of the infection could include a loss of appetite, nausea, tiredness, fever, stomach pain, brown-colored urine and light-colored stools, and yellowing of the skin of eyes.

These symptoms can appear up to 50 days after exposure to the virus, according to health officials. Anyone who develops symptoms is urged to stay at home and contact their healthcare provider immediately.

Health officials say Hepatitis A usually spreads when a person unknowingly ingests the virus from objects, food, or drinks contaminated by small, undetected amounts of stool from an infected person. 

They say the virus spreads when someone with the infection doesn’t wash their hands adequately after using the bathroom or when someone engages in behaviors that increase risk of infection.

For additional information on hepatitis A, visit cdc.gov/hepatitis.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories