Beaufort County School District returning to face-to-face instruction

Education

BEAUFORT, SC (WSAV) – The Beaufort County School District (BCSD) announced during a Board of Education meeting Friday the district will resume face-to-face educational instruction five days a week beginning Jan. 4.

BCSD officials say the district reviewed COVID-19 infection rates in other South Carolina school districts that have resumed face-to-face instruction and based their decision on what they discovered.

“The cases that we are seeing are really generating from external factors, parties, large get-togethers in the communities, and different events like that,” said BCSD Superintendent Frank Rodriguez. “They are not generated from the school.”

BCSD says safety precautions will be in place at the schools for the return.

Rodriguez says district and school-based administrators are working to mitigate physical distancing challenges for some of BCSD’s more crowded schools.

Currently 62 percent of BCSD students participate in hybrid instruction, with the remaining 38 percent receiving virtual instruction.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories