SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – The eight-county Coastal Health District is expanding COVID-19 vaccinations and is now scheduling appointments via phone.
Officials said early Thursday morning, after phone lines first opened, that their call systems are being overwhelmed.
“The phone lines are working and we are answering and scheduling appointments as quickly as possible, but we implore the public to be patient as we move forward,” Sally Silbermann, a spokesperson for CHD stated. “The first part of any new process is always the most difficult. We’ll work to smooth out the glitches but again, we ask for patience and understanding.”
The vaccine will be available to adults age 65 and older, their caregivers and emergency first responders at no cost.
“We can assure that we have enough vaccine on hand so that we don’t have people standing in line for hours only to get to the door only to find that we just ran out, and also so that we can handle the second dose process that we all need to do,” said CHD Director Dr. Lawton Davis.
Appointments will not begin until Monday at the earliest and must be scheduled via phone:
- Bryan County Health Department (Pembroke): 912-653-4331
- Bryan County Health Department (Richmond Hill): 912-756-2611
- Camden County Health Department (St. Marys): 912-882-8515
- Camden County Health Department (Woodbine): 912-576-3040
- Chatham County Health Department (Midtown & Eisenhower): 912-230-5506
- Effingham County Health Department: 912-754-6484
- Glynn County Health Department: 912-264-3961
- Liberty County Health Department: 912-876-2173
- Long County Health Department: 912-545-2107
- McIntosh County Health Department: 912-832-5473
- Residents in the Southeast Health District area should call 1-855-473-4374
CHD is in Phase 1a of its vaccine distribution plan, which includes health care workers and residents and staff of long-term care facilities.
“This is a monumental effort, and one that can’t be accomplished through public health alone,”
said Davis. “If you are in this expanded phase 1a group, you may also want to check with
your pharmacy or doctor’s office to see if they’re offering vaccine as well.”
Read more about CHD’s vaccination plan online here.