Beaufort, SC (WSAV) – UPDATE: Fire crews say the residents of the home were asleep when the fire started in the carport and they were forced to escape through the windows of the home when smoke detectors woke them up.
Investigators say the fire appears to have been unintentional, and possibly electrical.
Three pet cats perished in an early morning fire Saturday in the Shell Point neighborhood in Beaufort.
The Burton Fire District responded to a call of a house fire around 2am and arrived to find a car on fire and flames spreading into the home.
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control and no people were injured.
Port Royal and Parris Island Fire also responded to the scene.