Visit wsav.com/coronavirus for the latest local COVID-19 news. This page is no longer regularly updated.
SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – On May 13, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention eased mask-wearing guidance for fully vaccinated people.
The CDC says those who are fully vaccinated can ditch masks in crowds outdoors and in most indoor settings. The agency also removed the need for social distancing.
Still, the guidance calls for masks in crowded indoor settings: buses, planes, hospitals, prisons and homeless shelters. And local or federal mandates still apply.
So, in the Coastal Empire and Lowcountry, where do the mandates stand? WSAV News 3 is On Your Side with a round-up of our latest coverage on local orders.
The city of Savannah is keeping its mandatory mask order in place until 11:59 p.m. on Memorial Day unless rescinded or extended. Chatham County has long been in line with the city’s stance on masks, however, commissioners changed the order to follow the new CDC recommendations.
Read the latest:
- Mayor Van Johnson: Mask mandate remains, CDC messaging ‘flat’
- Local doctors react to Savannah’s mask order
- Chatham Co. mask mandate rescinded following new CDC recommendations
- Chatham Co. tourists, local businesses at a divide regarding new mask mandate
Where can you ditch the mask?
- Hilton Head Island ends mask mandate
- Fully vaccinated individuals no longer have to wear masks in Beaufort City buildings
- Kroger no longer requiring masks for fully vaccinated people
- Target joins other retailers in relaxing mask requirement
- Walmart, Sam’s Club will no longer require masks for those vaccinated
- LIST: Mask rules for major retailers
For up-to-date information on mask orders, vaccinations and more, visit wsav.com/coronavirus.
- Chatham County police, K9s search for missing 7-year-old boy
- Police: Man shot, seriously injured Monday evening in Savannah
- Fired officer who apologized for assault seeking acquittal
- Hot mic catches Biden calling Fox News reporter ‘stupid son of a b—-‘
- Man charged in contraband drop attempt with drone at Georgia prison