Whitemarsh Island shooting suspect in custody

Crime & Safety

Chatham County Police say a man accused of shooting and wounding a couple on Whitemarsh Island is in custody.

28-year-old Josef Craig Odum turned himself over to authorities on Tuesday evening.

Around 9:00 a.m., authorities responded to a 911 call of a gunshot victim in the Battery Point neighborhood.

Police said two people were injured and a male suspect, later identified as Odum, ran into a home on the 100 block of Gunpowder Drive.

Chatham County Police called in Savannah Police Department SWAT team who began negotiations around 10:00 a.m.

Authorities said the two people wounded in the shooting are a husband and wife who know Odum. Police believe the shooting was the result of “an ongoing disagreement.”

According to Chatham County Police, at last check, the husband was undergoing surgery for a critical torso wound. The wife was grazed in the shooting and faces minor superficial injuries.

We’re told both escaped their home by the time officers arrived.

VIDEO: Whitemarsh Island standoff update

As negotiations were underway, three schools on Whitemarsh Island were placed on lockdown.

Board of Education police reported someone matching Odum’s description was seen in a tree line located near a school in the area.

Police called in a helicopter for air support as a backup, although they still believed the suspect was in the Gunpowder Drive home.

“As we had resources paying attention here, we also had resources in the outer perimeter area searching for the person,” explained Chatham County Police Chief Jeff Hadley.

Around 1:00 p.m., police received a warrant to enter the home. According to Hadley, the suspect was not found.

Before dismissal on Tuesday, the Savannah-Chatham County Public School System (SCCPSS) coordinated an additional law enforcement presence at Island High School, Coastal Middle School, Marshpoint Elementary School and May Howard Elementary School.

After school activities, except for the YMCA Pryme Tyme Program, were canceled.

Out of an abundance of caution, at dismissal bus riders were held inside until their bus arrived and students who would normally walk home had to be picked up by a parent.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.