SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – A 7-year-old girl is suffering minor injuries after a shooting Wednesday afternoon.
Shyterria Shaquan Steward, 24, has since been arrested in connection with the incident.
According to the Savannah Police Department, on White Bluff Road near Hampstead Avenue, Steward attempted to quickly move her vehicle from the turn lane into another lane — but the driver of the victim’s vehicle didn’t allow it.
SPD says Steward got angry and followed the vehicle and shot at the car. The child was grazed by a bullet.
Dispatch received a call around 4:15 p.m. from a woman stating she was on her way to Candler Hospital with her 7-year-old daughter, who had been shot. The girl’s injuries were found to be non-life-threatening, police said, and she remains in stable condition at the hospital.
SPD says a second adult and a 6-year-old were also in the vehicle with the victim at the time of the shooting.
Officers worked to quickly identify and locate Steward. She was taken into custody Wednesday evening and booked into the Chatham County jail on four counts of aggravated assault and two counts of cruelty to children in the second degree.
Editor’s note: SPD initially stated the victim was a teenager. This article has been updated to reflect the child’s age.
- UK’s Prince Philip honored with 41-gun salutes after death
- Tybee Island to implement traffic controls this weekend
- Stimulus checks: What we know about how people are spending the $1,400
- Taking this step after receiving the COVID-19 vaccine makes a difference, CDC says
- Fire burning underground in Utah can’t be extinguished