UPDATE: Cigarette likely cause of fire on Maupus Avenue Saturday

Crime & Safety
fire generic_71744

SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – UPDATE: Savannah Fire investigators has determined that a cigarette was likely the cause of a fire at 815 Maupus Avenue Saturday morning.

Investigators say the area where the fire started on the outside of the home was littered with cigarettes. They say heat from an improperly discarded one likely worked its way between the wall and the exterior siding, causing a slow, smoldering fire.

Relatives of the elderly homeowner, who had recently passed away, were attending the homeowner’s funeral when they heard about the fire. Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames before they spread beyond the outside wall and a small inside area.

Savannah Fire Rescue is reminding the community to always smoke outside, away from structures. Smokers should not leave burning cigarettes unattended and should fully put them out and into an ashtray or sand bucket before throwing them away.

_________________

SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – Savannah Fire Rescue is investigating the cause of a fire on Maupus Avenue Saturday.

At around 11 a.m. Saturday, Savannah Fire was dispatched to a structure fire at 815 Maupus Avenue in Midtown. Firefighters arrived and found the house’s exterior on fire. They extinguished it before it could spread beyond the outside wall and a small inside area.

While crews were extinguishing the fire, relatives of the homeowner arrived on scene. They said that the elderly homeowner recently died and that they were attending the funeral service when they heard about the fire.

Savannah Fire is still investigating the cause of the fire.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories