Naked man in custody after SWAT standoff in Brunswick

Crime & Safety

BRUNSWICK, Ga. (WTLV) – A naked man who barricaded himself in a vehicle on the highway in Brunswick Friday is now in custody, according to law enforcement.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Glynn County Police Department appeared to apprehend the man after an hours-long SWAT standoff on Highway 17 near Interstate 95.

Glynn County Police Chief Rick Evans said the department received a 911 call about a car in a ditch along the highway. Inside the vehicle was a naked man who said he had a bomb in the car and threatened to kill himself and others, the caller said.

Officers arrived on the scene minutes later but couldn’t make contact. That’s when SWAT was notified and responded, along with the Glynn County Sheriff’s Office, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) and other law enforcement agencies.

A bomb squad vehicle was also on the scene as police attempted to bring the man some underwear to put on, but he did not accept it.

The GBI deployed its robot, which was used to speak and negotiate with him.

Around 1:30 p.m., First Coast News crews on the scene heard two shots that appeared to come from an armored vehicle on the highway.

Evans said officers finally made contact with the individual at 1:41 p.m. While on the scene, officers deployed five 40mm gas canisters.

After officers were able to get the man out of the vehicle, Evans said they had to tase him while placing him into custody because he was holding his hands under his stomach.

No one was hurt during the incident. Police have not yet released the individual’s name but did confirm that he is from the area.

During the investigation, officers found that a good Samaritan had stopped to see if he needed help, and that was the person he threatened, Evans said.

The GBI conducted a search of the vehicle and his home and determined that there is no bomb and no remnants of a bomb, Evans said. Police are still investigating if the vehicle that was in the ditch belonged to the man.

Police said the man appeared to be “out of it and very agitated.” He also had a lot of slurred speech.

“We do believe he was intoxicated but we’re not sure with what,” Evans said.

The man is facing a charge for making terroristic threats.

Nearby exits were closed during the standoff, along with Highway 17 near the Pilot truck stop, while investigators were on the scene.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories