PEMBROKE, Ga. (WSAV) – A man has been arrested in connection with a “major fire” in Bryan County.
According to the Georgia Office of Commissioner of Insurance and Safety Fire, Cecil Sparkes, 47, now faces a charge of criminal damage to property for allegedly setting fire to a home at 217 Burkhalter Street in Pembroke last Monday, Nov. 16.
The Pembroke Fire Department responded around midnight to find the 1,352-square-foot, 90-year-old home fully enveloped in flames.
According to Commissioner John King, four children were in the home at the time of the fire. A 13-year-old boy was taken to the Augusta Burn Center for smoke inhalation treatment and has since been released. The other three children were unharmed.
A state investigator with the commissioner’s office determined the fire started in the home’s laundry room.
Sparkes was on probation when the incident occurred. He is now being held at the Bryan County Jail without bond.
- Georgia man arrested, charged in 2002 triple homicide
- Cute puppy pics used to bait victims as online scams spike amid pandemic, BBB warns
- Stimulus checks? Here’s a breakdown of what’s in the $908 billion bipartisan economic plan
- Georgia state leaders report threats and violence against election workers
- Homeless shelters in the Coastal Empire prepare for cold temperatures