Man smashes window of Pounce Cat Cafe after asking woman if she wanted a free cat

Crime & Safety

SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – A bizarre crime unfolded at a business in downtown Savannah this weekend. Employees at the Pounce Cat cafe said a man smashed their front window. 

In partnership with the Humane Society for Greater Savannah, the cafe houses cats that customers can play with and even adopt. They often sit right where the window was vandalized late Saturday night into Sunday morning.

“There are live animals behind this glass that could potentially get hurt, get out all that sort of stuff so that’s kind of the worst part about this entire situation,” said Ashley Brooks, Co-owner of the Pounce Cat Cafe.

Luckily, no cats were hurt during the incident, but employees still can’t seem to wrap their heads around what happened.

“I think all of us were kind of really shocked that anyone would do anything like this, especially to a place that’s just trying to help the community, trying to re-home animals,” said Brooks. “I think all of us were just a little shaken up that anyone would ever do something like that to us.”

One witness told the owners she was looking at the cats when a man approached her.

“He kind of turned to a girl that, we don’t know if she knew him or not, and asked if she wanted one of the cats and then proceeded to elbow the window and obviously shatter the glass,” said Brooks. 

A video captured by another witness shows a trail of blood and just seconds later a man appears profusely bleeding from the elbow.

That video is now being used as evidence in the investigation as Savannah Police search for the man. 

“Hopefully they can find out who this guy is by calling emergency rooms or whatever because there’s somebody out there with a really messed up elbow,” said Brooks.

The cafe does have security cameras and a system in place.

“We’ve definitely talked about, over the last day or so, getting more security cameras kind of bumping that up,” said Brooks. “But our location in Charleston has been open for two and a half years without things like this or vandalism or anything like that, so we are just going to keep doing what we’re doing.”

News 3 was there as police gathered evidence, but they didn’t want to comment because the investigation is ongoing. We will continue to follow this story.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.