BURTON, S.C. (WSAV) — A family has been displaced after their Burton home caught fire Monday morning.
Two people were injured during the incident on Still Shadow Drive, according to the Burton Fire District (BFD).
BFD says a resident was sleeping but awoke when he felt “the heat of the fire.” He suffered minor injuries after escaping through a window.
A firefighter was also injured and transported to Beaufort Memorial Hospital.
Officials say a neighbor noticed smoke coming from the home and alerted authorities. BFD and Beaufort County EMS arrived at the home around 10:30 a.m.
BFD said the fire started in the kitchen and spread through the roof. It took about two hours for crews to extinguish the fire.
Firefighters believe equipment or an electrical malfunction caused the fire, however, they are still investigating.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family of four with immediate needs such as food, clothing, shelter and referrals for resources.
Ten Burton homes have caught fire this year, and BFD says one recurring issue is the lack of working smoke alarms. Officials ask those who need new smoke alarms or have questions to call 843-255-8011.