SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) — Crews extinguished hot spots after an overnight fire at a beloved Savannah restaurant. The fire happened early Thursday morning at Pearl’s Saltwater Grille located in the 7000 block of La Roche Avenue.

The fire started around 12:17 a.m. at Pearl’s Saltwater Grille. Fire and rescue crews rushed to the scene. It took three minutes for crews to arrive and when they arrived, they were met with a heavy flame presence.

Crews were met with lots of challenges due to the restaurant’s structure trying to put the flames.

“There was a mental roof over the structure which contains the heat which makes everything burn hotter,” said Chuck Kearns, Chatham County Fire CEO. “And the building is built on stilts out over the water, so we couldn’t get around behind it, it was too dangerous. it was too dangerous to enter because you could fall through the floor.”

It took several hours to put out the blaze. One firefighter was taken to the hospital and was later released.

There’s no word on the official cause of the fire, or how long the restaurant is expected to be closed.

This is a developing story. Stay with News 3 for updates as we learn more.