Suspect dead after officer-involved shooting in Savannah

Crime & Safety

SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – Officials say a suspect shot by police in Savannah Thursday night has died.

According to the Savannah Police Department (SPD), officers were called the 700 block of E. 34th St. around 9:20 p.m. for a report of a person with a gun.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI), now leading the investigation, says that the call was about a home invasion.

“There’s a lot of heightened emotions people are scared,” said Paulita Bennett-Martin, who lives nearby and co-found the Midtown Neighbors Association.

“The caller indicated that someone was trying to break in her home,” GBI stated. “When law enforcement officers arrived, they confronted the subject, identified as Deandre Lee Seaborough-Patterson, age 22, of Savannah GA, who was still in the yard of the residence holding a gun in his hand.”

“I spoke with one gentleman that was in the house next to the shooting and I believe that was on 34th and Atlantic,” said Bennett-Martin. “One of the bullets did go through their house.”

Deandre Lee Seaborough-Patterson, 22

The agency says officers, who have not been identified, gave clear instructions for Patterson to drop the weapon but he did not comply with verbal commands.

“I was sitting in my living room and I heard several bullets ringing out, probably eight is what I counted, others said 10,” said Bennett-Martin.

The suspect, according to the GBI, pointed his weapon at officers and officers fired at him.

Patterson was struck, and officers began to render aid. He was taken to a hospital where he later died.

No officers were injured during the incident.

SPD said that any officers involved are on administrative leave with pay, as per department policy.

GBI added that a handgun was recovered at the scene and that the agency will continue investigating the shooting.

“What we need to do is figure out what to do about the root of the issues so that’s a relationship-building between the officers, the city, and the community,” said Bennett-Martin.

Upon completion, the investigation will be turned over to the Chatham County District Attorney’s Office for review.

Neighbors told News 3 this is the second shooting in the area in five days.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories