BEAUFORT, S.C. (WSAV) – The Beaufort County School District (BCSD) shared details about their free summer meals program Friday.
BCSD says the summer student meal distribution starts Monday and runs through June 30.
Officials say there will be significant changes to schedules and pick-up locations from the current student meal distribution program.
Distribution dates will move to three days per week (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays). Two breakfasts and two lunches per student will be distributed on Mondays and Wednesdays, and three breakfasts and three lunches per student will be distributed on Fridays.
Officials say any child under age 18 and anyone under age 21 with a disability is eligible for a free meal.
Drive-up sites for meal pick-ups during the summer will be at Coosa Elementary, St. Helena Elementary, Battery Creek High, Whale Branch Middle and Bluffton Middle. Meals may be picked up at these sites from 9 a.m. until noon.
Bus routes will remain unchanged and can be viewed on the school district’s website here.
BCSD says there may be additional program changes after June 30, and information will be communicated to parents prior to that date.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture funds the summer program.
Meals will be provided by Sodexo, the school district’s food service contractor.
BCSD also shared other meal pick-up options for the community including the following:
- Boys & Girls Clubs of the Lowcountry – Cold breakfasts and hot lunches will be provided from June 15 through July 31 at the organization’s Sheldon, Bluffton and Hilton Head Island locations.
- Port Royal YMCA – Cold breakfasts and hot lunches will be provided from June 8 through August 14.
- Island Recreation Center – Hot lunches only will be provided to program participants from June 8 through August 14.
- Neighborhood Outreach Connection (NOC) – Hot lunches only will be provided to participants in NOC programs at Parkview (beginning June 8) and Marsh Pointe (beginning June 15) in Beaufort; Onyx (beginning June 8) and Avalon Shores (beginning June 8) in Bluffton; and St. Luke’s Church (beginning June 22).
- St. Helena Migrant Camp – Cold breakfasts, hot lunches and hot dinners will be provided to children of program participants from June 8 through July 3 (8-9 a.m., noon-12:45 p.m., 4-4:45 p.m.)