DURHAM: Employees accused of inappropriate scheduling Durham VA - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

Employees accused of inappropriate scheduling at Durham VA

Posted: Updated:
The Durham VA would only confirm two employees are currently on leave. The Durham VA would only confirm two employees are currently on leave.
DURHAM, N.C. -

An employee with the Durham VA Medical Center charges other employees at the hospital kept veterans from getting help they needed.

The Durham VA would only confirm two employees are currently on administrative leave pending an investigation into "inappropriate scheduling practices."

The secretary of the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs ordered an audit of every VA in the country after allegations of employees making fake waiting lists.

Auditors were at the facility Tuesday checking to see if the hospital is seeing veterans in a timely manner.

“We learned the auditors were coming here last week and in order to prepare for that, we did our own review,” said Shannon Mann with the Durham VA.

Mann said the review resulted in two employees being put on leave with pay while the VA continues to investigate the accusation of inappropriate scheduling practices.

“All I can tell you is that policy wasn’t being followed so we’re looking into that,” she said.

Mann said the goal is to have patients seen within 14 days. That goal is national policy for the VA but often goes unmet.

Veterans like Angela King are completely outraged at the latest report of inappropriate scheduling. King served six years in the Navy.

“We were promised certain services and it’d be nice if I could have the confidence that I was going to come home and the services promised to me and my fellow veterans that they’d be there,” King said.

Mann would not admit any fault at the Durham VA but if inappropriate scheduling happened, it was between 2009 and 2012.

Mann said she also can’t speculate on what will happen to the employees if the allegations are true.

“Obviously, this is dealing with people’s lives and we want to take every means necessary that were doing a thorough review because it affects them and it affects our center,” Mann said. “So we want to do it right.”

Copyright 2014 WNCN. All rights reserved.

Jonathan Rodriguez

Jonathan Rodriguez is an investigative reporter and member of the WNCN Investigates team. His storytelling specialty is connecting the dots to get to the truth, with a goal of delivering results for our community. If you have something you’d like WNCN to investigate, contact Jonathan.

More>>

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Bulloch County Coroner: Young Man Dead After Bar Beating

    Bulloch County Coroner: Young Man Dead After Bar Beating

    Thursday, August 28 2014 10:14 PM EDT2014-08-29 02:14:32 GMT
    Grant James SpencerGrant James Spencer
    A bouncer is in custody, accused of beating a teen, leaving him unconscious outside of a Statesboro bar Thursday morning, according to Statesboro Police.  Detectives say the assault happened near Rude Rudy's Bar on University Court.
    A bouncer is in custody, accused of beating a teen, leaving him unconscious outside of a Statesboro bar Thursday morning, according to Statesboro Police.  Detectives say the assault happened near Rude Rudy's Bar on University Court.
  • MUGS: 15 Children Removed From Woodruff Home, Adults Arrested

    MUGS: 15 Children Removed From Woodruff Home, Adults Arrested

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 6:16 PM EDT2014-08-27 22:16:58 GMT

    Investigators say they found the trailer surrounded by piles of clothes and trash, a swimming pool with green water, animal feces and roaches on the floor of the home and unsecured guns and medicine bottles.

    Investigators say they found the trailer surrounded by piles of clothes and trash, a swimming pool with green water, animal feces and roaches on the floor of the home and unsecured guns and medicine bottles.

  • 'Magic Mike,' Sequel to be Filmed in Savannah

    'Magic Mike,' Sequel to be Filmed in Savannah

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 12:52 PM EDT2014-08-27 16:52:15 GMT
    The Savannah Film Office says the sequel to the movie Magic Mike is scheduled to be filmed in the Savannah area beginning in September.
    The Savannah Film Office says the sequel to the movie Magic Mike is scheduled to be filmed in the Savannah area beginning in September.
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.