Funeral held for 13-month-old Hartsville girl who died after bei - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

Bookmark and Share

Funeral held for 13-month-old Hartsville girl who died after being left in car

Posted: Updated:
HARTSVILLE, SC (WBTW) - The funeral for a 13-month-old child who died after being left inside a car last week was held Tuesday morning in Hartsville.

Family and friends held the service for Sophia Jane Goyeneche-Gray at St. Mary's Catholic Church at 11 a.m. 

Sophia died after being left alone in a car, for several hours, Darlington County Coroner Todd Hardee said.

The vehicle was parked outside of a Hartsville business on 5th Street near Carolina Printing where the father works, officials told WBTW.

Hartsville Police arrested David "Richie" Gray III, age 30, of Darlington County and charged him with unlawful neglect of a child.

In a hearing on Friday afternoon, bond was set at $10,000 for Gray. Gray posted bond and was released from jail, according to officers at the Darlington County Detention Center. He was out of jail by 4:00 a.m. Saturday morning.

Coroner Hardee has asked for the assistance of the SLED child death division and the assistance of the Hartsville City Police Dept.

An autopsy Friday determined that Sophia's cause of death was hyperthermia due to the extreme heat, Hardee said.

The Coroner ruled the death an accident.

Many of those closest to Gray say he was a doting father who would never have intentionally hurt his child.

"You could not walk into the room without that boy saying, let me show you what Sofia did today, let me show you a picture, let me show you what she's doing new," said co-worker and friend, Kayla Clyburn.

Gray's friends say that he showed up for his normal shift on Thursday morning, but that his routine that day was anything but normal.

"I spoke with him earlier that day, I sat with him maybe 20 minutes that morning and talked with him like I normally do," Clyburn said of her interaction with Gray on the morning of the incident.

Friends say he and his girlfriend Amanda, often had to juggle complex schedules and arrangements and on Thursday, that meant Gray at some point having the responsibility to transport their child to daycare.

Gray's friends say when he showed up for work on Thursday, Sofia had apparently fallen asleep in the back of his vehicle.

They say in the midst of a busy work day, he somehow forgot about the child being in his vehicle.

"We heard the scream... and I saw Richie giving CPR to his child. If you knew this dad...he was one of the best. Every day, there wasn't a day that went by that he didn't comment or have something to say about his child," said Gray's co-worker and friend, Margaret Powers Floyd.

Floyd said Gray rushed out to try to save the child and did everything in his power to bring her back to consciousness, but was unsuccessful.

She says at one point he even yelled out for God to spare his child's life and take his instead.
"All I can say is he loved this child and please pray for him, and pray for the family and pray for us as co-workers because...we loved him just like we loved her," Powers Floyd said.

Gray's friends say that any punishment he could possibly receive in criminal court because of the incident, would pale in comparison to the punishment he is likely inflicting upon himself due to the sequence of events.

The details surrounding this case are currently under investigation.

Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.