Savannah State Facing Possible Lawsuit In Rape Case - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

Savannah State Facing Possible Lawsuit In Rape Case

Posted: Updated:
Savannah, Georgia -

New developments in the rape case of two students at Savannah State University. It's a story News 3 has been following since December of last year. That's when police say a man robbed and sexually assaulted the victims in the University Commons complex. Now News 3 has learned those victims have filed an intent to sue the University.

The notice of intent was filed with Savannah State, the Board of Regents and others on Thursday. A Savannah State spokesperson says they cannot comment on pending litigation. Much like the lawsuit already filed against Candler Hospital - the claims center around alleged security lapses. Attorney Abda Quillian says it was lax security at Savannah State that placed her clients in danger, “It's certainly reasonable - and if you sent your child to live in that student housing - it would be very reasonable for you to expect that they were gonna monitor it and protect your child.” But she says that's not what happened. Her letter notifying the University of intent to sue cites among other things, alleged failure to provide adequate lighting, failure to provide adequate security personnel and failure to monitor security cameras, “Looking at security events of the crime - it's kinda of like closing the barn door when the horse is out. i mean it's really nice that there's this evidence that perhaps in this attorney will be able utilize in the criminal prosecution, but it would have been a whole lot better to have monitored it and prevented it…this particular night, early morning - this guy was caught on more than one video camera over a period of time - so if anybody had been paying a minuscule amount of attention - this could have been prevented and it should have been prevented.”

She says not only were security cameras not monitored by Savannah State's own admission - but adequate security personnel weren't on premises to guard student's safety, “Obviously no one drove through that parking lot in the 15 or 20 minutes that guy was there - I mean there were no patrols through there.” The two victims are asking for 2-million dollars each for both physical and emotional injuries.

a man named Torrey Scott has been arrested in the rape that occurred at Candler hospital in February and the GBI has said they will recommend charges against him in this case as well. Those charges have not been filed yet.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Bulloch County Coroner: Young Man Dead After Bar Beating

    Bulloch County Coroner: Young Man Dead After Bar Beating

    Thursday, August 28 2014 10:14 PM EDT2014-08-29 02:14:32 GMT
    Grant James SpencerGrant James Spencer
    A bouncer is in custody, accused of beating a teen, leaving him unconscious outside of a Statesboro bar Thursday morning, according to Statesboro Police.  Detectives say the assault happened near Rude Rudy's Bar on University Court.
    A bouncer is in custody, accused of beating a teen, leaving him unconscious outside of a Statesboro bar Thursday morning, according to Statesboro Police.  Detectives say the assault happened near Rude Rudy's Bar on University Court.
  • MUGS: 15 Children Removed From Woodruff Home, Adults Arrested

    MUGS: 15 Children Removed From Woodruff Home, Adults Arrested

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 6:16 PM EDT2014-08-27 22:16:58 GMT

    Investigators say they found the trailer surrounded by piles of clothes and trash, a swimming pool with green water, animal feces and roaches on the floor of the home and unsecured guns and medicine bottles.

    Investigators say they found the trailer surrounded by piles of clothes and trash, a swimming pool with green water, animal feces and roaches on the floor of the home and unsecured guns and medicine bottles.

  • 'Magic Mike,' Sequel to be Filmed in Savannah

    'Magic Mike,' Sequel to be Filmed in Savannah

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 12:52 PM EDT2014-08-27 16:52:15 GMT
    The Savannah Film Office says the sequel to the movie Magic Mike is scheduled to be filmed in the Savannah area beginning in September.
    The Savannah Film Office says the sequel to the movie Magic Mike is scheduled to be filmed in the Savannah area beginning in September.
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.