Man arrested in connection with Bluffton manhunt - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

UPDATE: Man arrested in connection with Bluffton manhunt

Posted: Updated:
Quaddray Dramel Gaston Quaddray Dramel Gaston
BLUFFTON, S.C. -

Captain Joseph Manning of the Bluffton Police Department says a man has been arrested and charged with attempted murder in connection with Thursday's manhunt.

29-year-old Quaddray Dramel Gaston, of Beaufort was arrested Friday morning by Bluffton police. He is currently being held at the Beaufort County Detention Center. 

"I heard the shot, and two people running, and the cops coming, and I knew something had happened," says Jeanne VanBuskirk.

Van Buskirk works at the restaurant just across from the scene of the crime on May River Road, Squat and Gobble. She was outside at her car when she heard shots fired. She says the neighborhood was then on high alert, as nothing dangerous frequently goes on in that area.

"All I saw was the two guys running across the street. The cops got one of them, but the other ran up the street," VanBuskirk says.

A manhunt ensued for several hours. Police say it was around 11 p.m. that Quaddray Gaston was arrested.

"He did admit that he was the driver of the vehicle that ran over our victim. He was charged with one count of attempted murder," Captain Joseph Manning says.

Gaston allegedly ran a Chevy Tahoe over a homeowner at 1238 May River Road, and into the side of the house. By Friday morning, building inspectors had posted notice that the house was unlivable until further inspection. Those who lived there were not home.

However, the scene from the night before involved some 25 people brawling outside of the home. Police say it was then that shots were fired, but it's still unknown why the fight broke out, who fired the shots, and how many passengers were inside the vehicle that struck the victim.

Police are not releasing the name of the victim, but they say he sustained minor injuries. They are still looking to question another man they say is a person of interest.

They believe this was an isolated incident, but will still keep an added presence in the area to ensure the community's safety.

-----------

A manhunt is underway in Bluffton for a man with a gun.

According to Town of Bluffton spokeswoman Debbie Szpanka, the situation started at approximately 3:30 this afternoon when Bluffton Police responded to a disturbance and shots fired call at a mobile home community next to Scott's Market.

When officers arrived they found an SUV crashed into a mobile home and a male that had been run-over.

That person was transported to the hospital where his condition remains unknown.

As officers arrived, another man was seen running through a yard at the intersection of Pin Oak Street and Able Street holding a black handgun.

Bluffton Police, the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office and South Carolina Highway Patrol are all in the area searching for that man.

He was last seen wearing a white t-shirt and gray sweat pants.

Szpanka says a reverse 911 call went out to alert people to the situation but as of now, authorities are not telling people to take any special precautions.

Stay with WSAV for updates.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • UPDATE Squatters moving out of soldier's home

    UPDATE Squatters moving out of soldier's home

    Thursday, April 24 2014 1:51 PM EDT2014-04-24 17:51:57 GMT
    Squatters begin moving out of Spc. Michael Sharkey's home on Wednesday night.Squatters begin moving out of Spc. Michael Sharkey's home on Wednesday night.
    NEW PORT RICHEY, FL (WFLA) - WFLA's story about a New Port Richey soldier who says his home has been taken over by squatters is striking a nerve in the community and now, the squatters are moving out.
    NEW PORT RICHEY, FL (WFLA) - WFLA's story about a New Port Richey soldier who says his home has been taken over by squatters is striking a nerve in the community and now, the squatters are moving out.
  • Former Postal Worker Sentenced for Not Delivering 45,000 Pieces of Mail

    Former Postal Worker Sentenced for Not Delivering 45,000 Pieces of Mail

    Thursday, April 24 2014 2:45 PM EDT2014-04-24 18:45:46 GMT
    (CNN) - A former Kentucky postal worker was sentenced to six months in federal prison for failing to deliver about 45,000 pieces of mail.
    (CNN) - A former Kentucky postal worker was sentenced to six months in federal prison for failing to deliver about 45,000 pieces of mail.
  • Squatters Move Into Soldier's Home and Refuse to Leave

    Squatters Move Into Soldier's Home and Refuse to Leave

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 2:25 PM EDT2014-04-23 18:25:50 GMT
    Alleged SquatterAlleged Squatter
    When soldier Michael Sharkey was deployed to Afghanistan two years ago, he asked a friend to watch over his New Port Richey house.
    When soldier Michael Sharkey was deployed to Afghanistan two years ago, he asked a friend to watch over his New Port Richey house.
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.