RALEIGH: NC Democrats want long-term jobless aid revived - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

NC Democrats want long-term jobless aid revived

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan said Monday she's pushing North Carolina to rejoin the rest of the states to help the long-term unemployed with emergency unemployment benefits. But Republican legislative leaders - including one who wants to unseat her this fall - argue she should have done more on the issue earlier.

Hagan held a news conference in Raleigh with Democratic state legislators, where they criticized North Carolina's General Assembly for actions that led to the elimination in July of extended federal emergency jobless benefits for as many as 170,000 families.

The payments ended because the state was disqualified from the program after the Republican-led General Assembly in early 2013 approved changes to the state's unemployment insurance system that reduced weekly benefits and the number of weeks that benefits could be received.

Meanwhile, the payments ran out nationwide Dec. 28, and the U.S. Senate planned to begin considering Tuesday a three-month extension of benefits that would affect an estimated 1.3 million people. Hagan introduced a provision last month that would make North Carolina eligible again for those benefits if they are reinstated nationwide.

"The General Assembly knowingly and willingly violated federal law, and I refuse to let the people of our state suffer because of their reckless actions," Hagan said in a written statement, adding "North Carolinians struggling to get by while looking for work should receive the same benefits as citizens in other states.

Senate leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham, and House Speaker Thom Tillis, R-Mecklenburg, later Monday blamed Hagan for failing, in late 2012 during congressional budget and tax negotiations, to find a way to exempt North Carolina from losing those benefits when the legislature changed its unemployment insurance program a couple months later.

"If she truly cared about these North Carolinians, she would have done what the General Assembly called on her to do more than a year ago," Berger and Tillis said in a statement. "But she dropped the ball and is now desperately trying to spin her way out of the damage she created."

The unemployment benefit overhaul was designed in part to accelerate the repayment of more than $2 billion in benefit payments North Carolina owed the federal government from the Great Recession. General Assembly leaders say they had asked her to grandfather North Carolina, but it didn't happen.

The emergency benefit issue is an early-year conflict between Hagan, who is seeking re-election in November, and Tillis, one of at least five Republicans seeking the Senate GOP nomination in May.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • UPDATE Squatters moving out of soldier's home

    UPDATE Squatters moving out of soldier's home

    Thursday, April 24 2014 1:51 PM EDT2014-04-24 17:51:57 GMT
    Squatters begin moving out of Spc. Michael Sharkey's home on Wednesday night.Squatters begin moving out of Spc. Michael Sharkey's home on Wednesday night.
    NEW PORT RICHEY, FL (WFLA) - WFLA's story about a New Port Richey soldier who says his home has been taken over by squatters is striking a nerve in the community and now, the squatters are moving out.
    NEW PORT RICHEY, FL (WFLA) - WFLA's story about a New Port Richey soldier who says his home has been taken over by squatters is striking a nerve in the community and now, the squatters are moving out.
  • Former Postal Worker Sentenced for Not Delivering 45,000 Pieces of Mail

    Former Postal Worker Sentenced for Not Delivering 45,000 Pieces of Mail

    Thursday, April 24 2014 2:45 PM EDT2014-04-24 18:45:46 GMT
    (CNN) - A former Kentucky postal worker was sentenced to six months in federal prison for failing to deliver about 45,000 pieces of mail.
    (CNN) - A former Kentucky postal worker was sentenced to six months in federal prison for failing to deliver about 45,000 pieces of mail.
  • Squatters Move Into Soldier's Home and Refuse to Leave

    Squatters Move Into Soldier's Home and Refuse to Leave

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 2:25 PM EDT2014-04-23 18:25:50 GMT
    Alleged SquatterAlleged Squatter
    When soldier Michael Sharkey was deployed to Afghanistan two years ago, he asked a friend to watch over his New Port Richey house.
    When soldier Michael Sharkey was deployed to Afghanistan two years ago, he asked a friend to watch over his New Port Richey house.
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.