Durham case raises questions about police use of Tasers - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

Durham case raises questions about police use of Tasers

Posted: Updated:
DURHAM, N.C. -

The North Carolina Supreme Court has ordered the Court of Appeals to review a case in which a man claims a Durham police officer used excessive force when police used a Taser on him.

Bryan DeBaun was seriously injured – a photo from the time shows him with blood across his face - after being Tasered on July 24, 2009, by Officer Daniel Kuszaj. DeBaun sued for damages and an injunction against the department's use of Tasers.

According to the police department's "use of force" policy, "Officers of the Durham Police Department shall use only the force necessary to achieve a lawful objective."

The policy also gives guidelines as to when an officer is allowed to use force, including when they are defending themselves or to "to prevent the escape or to effect the arrest of a person who he (an officer) reasonably believes has committed a criminal offense."

DeBaun had been drinking and was carrying a pack of beer when Kuszaj stopped him near the intersection of Calvin and Holloway streets.

"DeBaun's attorney, Alex Charns, said DeBaun asked the officer, "Am I under arrest?"

"When the officer said no, Mr. DeBaun left," Charns said. "Mr. DeBaun was Tasered in the back and  when the Taser deployed, he became paralyzed. He went face first into a concrete sidewalk."

Charns said DeBaun faces $40,000 in medical and reconstructive surgery bills as a result. He said DeBaun was found not guilty of disorderly conduct and being drunk and disruptive. The case has been in and out of court since.

The Court of Appeals will decide whether to overturn a previous decision and allow DeBaun to sue the city and let the case go to trial. DeBaun wants thousands in damages and also wants chances in the department policy allowing the use of Tasers.

"This policy allows officers to seriously injure or kill people who have committed very minor traffic offense," Charns said.

A spokesman for the Durham Police said the department could not comment because it is an ongoing case.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Sheriff's Office showcases "Faces of Meth" program as a lesson to all

    Sheriff's Office showcases "Faces of Meth" program as a lesson to all

    Monday, July 21 2014 11:33 AM EDT2014-07-21 15:33:26 GMT
    Faces of Meth™ is a project of the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office in Oregon. This project began when a deputy in the Corrections Division Classification Unit, Deputy Bret King, put together mug shots of persons booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center. Deputy King worked with his co-workers in the Classification Unit to identify people who had been in custody more than once. He then worked to verify criminal records and files to determine and assure a history of methamphetamine re...
    Faces of Meth™ is a project of the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office in Oregon. This project began when a deputy in the Corrections Division Classification Unit, Deputy Bret King, put together mug shots of persons booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center. Deputy King worked with his co-workers in the Classification Unit to identify people who had been in custody more than once. He then worked to verify criminal records and files to determine and assure a history of methamphetamine re...
  • Mysterious "woman in black" spotted in Tennessee

    Mysterious "woman in black" spotted in Tennessee

    A mysterious figure is capturing the attention of social media. She's been nicknamed "the woman in black" and she's been spotted in different parts of east Tennessee including Madisonville, Athens, Sweetwater and now Morgan County.
    A mysterious figure is capturing the attention of social media. She's been nicknamed "the woman in black" and she's been spotted in different parts of east Tennessee including Madisonville, Athens, Sweetwater and now Morgan County.
  • Teen girl missing 9 months now back at home in New Hampshire

    Teen girl missing 9 months now back at home in New Hampshire

    Monday, July 21 2014 10:05 PM EDT2014-07-22 02:05:37 GMT
    Photo from Conway, NH policePhoto from Conway, NH police
    A 15-year-old New Hampshire girl who disappeared while on her way home from school nine months ago is safely home with her family, the state attorney general said Monday. Abigail Hernandez was reunited with her family on Sunday evening,
    A 15-year-old New Hampshire girl who disappeared while on her way home from school nine months ago is safely home with her family, the state attorney general said Monday. Abigail Hernandez was reunited with her family on Sunday evening,
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.