Georgia Dept. of Insurance gives holiday cooking safety tips - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

Text Description

Georgia Dept. of Insurance gives holiday cooking safety tips

Posted: Updated:
ATLANTA, Ga. -

Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens urges Georgians to use caution with holiday cooking, and when they heat up leftovers on the stove after the holidays are over.

"We've had 15 fatalities in Georgia so far this year in which the cause of the fire was cooking-related," Hudgens says. "Over the years we have seen many fires caused by a stove that has been accidentally left on."

"In this type of fire, a person may come home from work, put something on the stove, then fall asleep in front of the TV while waiting on their dinner to warm up," Hudgens says. "If neglected, a stove can heat a pan to the point that the metal melts."

Hudgens suggests the following tips for cooking safety:

  • Always set a timer when cooking, so you won't forget to turn off the burners or oven.
  • If a pan catches fire, cover it with a lid immediately and turn off the burner.  Don't fight a grease fire with water, as it may make the fire worse. 
  • Wear tight-fitting sleeves when cooking.  Loose clothing can contact a burner and ignite.  If this happens, remember "stop, drop and roll."  Stop where you are, cover your face with your hands, and roll over to smother the flames.
  • Never use a cooking stove to heat your home.

Install an adequate number of smoke alarms. Most fatal fires start between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m., while the family is asleep. The advance warning of a smoke alarm may mean the difference between life and death. Nine out of ten fire victims are already dead before the fire department is even called, mainly from smoke and toxic gases.

Jessi Mitchell

Jessi joined the WRBL news team in October 2012 after working as a freelance production assistant for MTV Networks in Los Angeles.
More>>

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Grandmother of boy tied up in Macy's bathroom speaks

    Grandmother of boy tied up in Macy's bathroom speaks

    Friday, April 18 2014 1:26 PM EDT2014-04-18 17:26:14 GMT
    The grandmother, whose face is concealed to protect child's identityThe grandmother, whose face is concealed to protect child's identity
    The family of an 8-year-old boy, who police say was tied up and assaulted in Peachtree Mall, pleading for the public's help after nearly two weeks with no arrest.
    The family of an 8-year-old boy, who police say was tied up and assaulted in Peachtree Mall, pleading for the public's help after nearly two weeks with no arrest.
  • Photos: Storms lead to flooding across Chattahoochee Valley

    Photos: Storms lead to flooding across Chattahoochee Valley

    Monday, April 7 2014 6:37 PM EDT2014-04-07 22:37:01 GMT
    After heavy rain and thunderstorms rolled through the valley this morning, we can look for improving weather conditions this afternoon.
    After heavy rain and thunderstorms rolled through the valley this morning, we can look for improving weather conditions this afternoon.
  • Principal of Double Churches Middle School passes away

    Principal of Double Churches Middle School passes away

    Thursday, April 17 2014 6:46 PM EDT2014-04-17 22:46:47 GMT
    The principal of Double Churches Middle School passed away Wednesday night. Chris Cox was appointed to the job in 2012.
    The principal of Double Churches Middle School passed away Wednesday night. Chris Cox was appointed to the job in 2012.
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.