NC insurers unsure how they will respond after Obama announcemen - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

NC insurers unsure how they will respond after Obama announcement

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

Some of the more than 473,000 North Carolina residents whose health insurance policies were canceled by their companies for not meeting new federal coverage standards may get to keep their current policies under a change President Barack Obama announced Thursday.
    
White House officials said a letter going to state insurance commissioners will specify that current plans will not be considered out of compliance with the federal health insurance overhaul law next year. It will be up to state regulators and insurance companies to decide whether to keep alive previously canceled policies.
    
Twenty-one companies terminated 183,821 individual and group health insurance policies affecting 473,724 people by late October, according to figures collected by North Carolina's Insurance Department. Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina issued 151,640 cancellations, followed by 20,370 by Coventry Health and 4,459 by Aetna. Aetna bought Coventry this year.
    
Blue Cross spokesman Lew Borman said Thursday it was too soon to say how the non-profit insurer would respond.
    
"We had already been actively exploring options to provide some relief to customers who were faced with losing a plan they liked," Blue Cross president Brad Wilson said in a statement.
    
An Aetna spokesman had no immediate comment about its plans following the Obama Administration's surprise announcement. Blue Cross and Coventry are the only two insurers selling policies in North Carolina on the federally operated insurance marketplace created by the overhaul law.
    
It's not clear whether state Insurance Commissioner Wayne Goodwin would approve an insurance company's plan to reverse its policy cancellations. Goodwin did not respond when asked through a spokeswoman whether reversing policy terminations are practical now that notices have gone to policyholders. Goodwin said he is studying the issue and hopes to decide soon.
    
"My staff and I are gathering information and analyzing the options available to us at the state level to best protect North Carolina consumers," Goodwin said in a prepared statement.
    
Seven companies notified the Insurance Department they were withdrawing from the state's health insurance market. The rest offered replacement policies when terminating policies that didn't meet the new standards of the federal law. Canceled policyholders also could shop for replacement plans on the federal insurance marketplace, but its website has been plagued by glitches so severe that fewer than 27,000 people enrolled in October in 36 states that use the Washington-designed exchange.
    
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said this week that about 1,700 North Carolina residents successfully signed up for health insurance plans on the troubled website in the first month of open enrollment.
    
The government says about 15,000 North Carolina residents who went through the application process learned they were eligible for financial subsidies to buy coverage. Another 7,400 people were determined to be eligible for Medicaid, the government health insurance program primarily for children and the disabled.
    
North Carolina Sen. Kay Hagan, a Democrat who is facing a difficult re-election race next year, said the one-year fix isn't sufficient for affected consumers.
    
"We still need to work towards a permanent solution so we do not simply kick the can down the road," Hagan said in a statement. Hagan was one of 16 Democratic senators facing election next year who met with Obama last week to discuss constituent displeasure over the fumbled start.
  

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Sheriff's Office showcases "Faces of Meth" program as a lesson to all

    Sheriff's Office showcases "Faces of Meth" program as a lesson to all

    Monday, July 21 2014 11:33 AM EDT2014-07-21 15:33:26 GMT
    Faces of Meth™ is a project of the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office in Oregon. This project began when a deputy in the Corrections Division Classification Unit, Deputy Bret King, put together mug shots of persons booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center. Deputy King worked with his co-workers in the Classification Unit to identify people who had been in custody more than once. He then worked to verify criminal records and files to determine and assure a history of methamphetamine re...
    Faces of Meth™ is a project of the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office in Oregon. This project began when a deputy in the Corrections Division Classification Unit, Deputy Bret King, put together mug shots of persons booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center. Deputy King worked with his co-workers in the Classification Unit to identify people who had been in custody more than once. He then worked to verify criminal records and files to determine and assure a history of methamphetamine re...
  • Search Underway After Police Chase, Crash

    Search Underway After Police Chase, Crash

    Thursday, July 24 2014 7:38 AM EDT2014-07-24 11:38:55 GMT
    Liberty County authorities are searching for two people who fled on foot after a police chase ended in a crash.
    Liberty County authorities are searching for two people who fled on foot after a police chase ended in a crash.
  • Couple arrested for having sex on Cortez Beach in front of beachgoers

    Couple arrested for having sex on Cortez Beach in front of beachgoers

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 1:08 PM EDT2014-07-22 17:08:35 GMT
    Bradenton Beach police officers were dispatched to Cortez Beach after a few people called 911 and complained about a couple having sex publicly, right next to a little girl on the beach.
    Bradenton Beach police officers were dispatched to Cortez Beach after a few people called 911 and complained about a couple having sex publicly, right next to a little girl on the beach.
  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • 77-year-old questioned, defended as true Marine after NFL player takes his photo

    77-year-old questioned, defended as true Marine after NFL player takes his photo

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 1:58 PM EDT2014-07-22 17:58:35 GMT
    (WMC) - It was a story that made its rounds on social media. On a recent flight DeAngelo Williams, Mid-Southerner and running back for the Carolina Panthers, gave his first-class plane seat to a 77-year-old
    Family members are upset and hurt that their relative, James Wesley Bolden, is being called a liar and "a fake."
  • Largest companies by revenue in each state

    Largest companies by revenue in each state

    Thursday, July 10 2014 8:01 PM EDT2014-07-11 00:01:10 GMT
    Broadview Networks recently decided to find out the biggest -- by revenue -- company in each state in the US.The company used the Fortune 500 list to start with, but needed data by state, so it turned to Hoover's.With data from that company, they were able to search through each state's list of companies and then find the largest -- by revenue.Just flip through the list above and see who is the biggest in each state, what town they are based and their revenue.
    Broadview Networks recently decided to find out the biggest -- by revenue -- company in each state in the US.The company used the Fortune 500 list to start with, but needed data by state, so it turned to Hoover's.With data from that company, they were able to search through each state's list of companies and then find the largest -- by revenue.Just flip through the list above and see who is the biggest in each state, what town they are based and their revenue.
  • No swimming at some NC beaches due to high bacteria levels

    No swimming at some NC beaches due to high bacteria levels

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 12:36 PM EDT2014-07-23 16:36:19 GMT
    A map of the swimming areas along the NC coast that are affected by the recent high levels of bacteria.A map of the swimming areas along the NC coast that are affected by the recent high levels of bacteria.
    Six advisories and three alerts were issued against swimming Tuesday at nine ocean-side sites along the coast of North Carolina.
    Six advisories and three alerts were issued against swimming Tuesday at nine ocean-side sites along the coast of North Carolina.
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.