Convicted Felon Drops out of Council Race - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

Convicted Felon Drops out of Council Race

Posted: Updated:
Port Wentworth, GA -

Port Wentworth will have one less name on the ballot in two weeks after one city council candidate dropped out of the race.

Former candidate Mike Woods withdrew from the race Wednesday.

News 3 has learned that his past may have led to his departure from the race.

It turns out Woods is a convicted felon.

News 3 obtained criminal records which show Woods was arrested in May of 1978 for criminal attempt to commit armed robbery.

The indictment shows he pointed a pistol at the clerk and demanded money.

In September of 1978, Woods pleaded guilty to a charge of aggravated assault with intent to rob.

He was sentenced to six months behind bars and two and a half years on probation.

News 3's Andrew Davis confronted Woods at a campaign event this past weekend.

He had a lot to say about his previous problems and what people should or should not know about his past.

"I've put on my Facebook page that if anyone had any questions on my past present or future to contact me," Woods said.

"Then why is it that Mr. Gary Norton told me earlier that he didn't know you were a convicted felon," Davis replied.

"I don't know I can't tell you that, but it's a matter of public record. It happened 35 years ago," Woods said.

By Georgia law, any convicted felon is not allowed to run for or be elected to public office.

Even if he had not dropped out of the race, Woods' criminal history would have stopped him from ever joining the council.

At tonight's Port Wentworth City Council meeting, the idea was brought up to do background checks on all future candidates.

That proposal will be taken up by the new council after the election in two weeks.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Dogs Kill Man Out for an Evening Jog

    Dogs Kill Man Out for an Evening Jog

    Friday, July 25 2014 12:36 PM EDT2014-07-25 16:36:28 GMT
    (WDIV) A 46-year-old man has died after being attacked by dogs while he was on a run Wednesday evening in Metamora, Michigan.Police said Craig Sytsma, of Livonia, was running when two 3-year-old cane corsos attacked him.Sytsma died from his injuries at a hospital.Police said the dogs, which are being held by animal control, have been involved in previous bite cases.Read more: http://bit.ly/1l16ze7
    (WDIV) A 46-year-old man has died after being attacked by dogs while he was on a run Wednesday evening in Metamora, Michigan.Police said Craig Sytsma, of Livonia, was running when two 3-year-old cane corsos attacked him.Sytsma died from his injuries at a hospital.Police said the dogs, which are being held by animal control, have been involved in previous bite cases.Read more: http://bit.ly/1l16ze7
  • Sheriff's Office showcases "Faces of Meth" program as a lesson to all

    Sheriff's Office showcases "Faces of Meth" program as a lesson to all

    Monday, July 21 2014 11:33 AM EDT2014-07-21 15:33:26 GMT
    Faces of Meth™ is a project of the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office in Oregon. This project began when a deputy in the Corrections Division Classification Unit, Deputy Bret King, put together mug shots of persons booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center. Deputy King worked with his co-workers in the Classification Unit to identify people who had been in custody more than once. He then worked to verify criminal records and files to determine and assure a history of methamphetamine re...
    Faces of Meth™ is a project of the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office in Oregon. This project began when a deputy in the Corrections Division Classification Unit, Deputy Bret King, put together mug shots of persons booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center. Deputy King worked with his co-workers in the Classification Unit to identify people who had been in custody more than once. He then worked to verify criminal records and files to determine and assure a history of methamphetamine re...
  • 'Creepy' dolls had innocent explanation

    'Creepy' dolls had innocent explanation

    Friday, July 25 2014 7:48 AM EDT2014-07-25 11:48:49 GMT
    This image, date not known, provided by the Orange County Sheriff's Department shows one of several dolls that have been found left on doorsteps in the last week in San Clemente, Calif.This image, date not known, provided by the Orange County Sheriff's Department shows one of several dolls that have been found left on doorsteps in the last week in San Clemente, Calif.
    Authorities say the person who left on doorsteps porcelain dolls that resembled real children didn't mean any harm.
    Authorities say the person who left on doorsteps porcelain dolls that resembled real children didn't mean any harm.
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.