NC officials provide aid to food banks during gov't shutdown - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

NC officials provide aid to food banks during gov't shutdown

Posted: Updated:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -

Food banks in North Carolina are getting much needed funds from state officials.

Gov. Pat McCrory approved $750,000 of state funds for seven regional food banks that are part of the N.C. Association of Feeding America's Food Banks during an event in Charlotte.

In addition to the $750,000, Attorney General Roy Cooper and the state justice department is giving $2 million in consumer restitution funds to help fight hunger.

McCrory released the funds to help the food banks handle the increasing demand created from the partial government shutdown.

"It's time for the president and Congress to remember who they work for. The American people pay taxes 365 days a year and have the right to expect the federal government to be fully operational every day of the year," said McCrory. "Federal services are not political chess pieces. Real people are being impacted in very real ways. The political brinkmanship must end."

Secretary of Health and Human Services Aldona Wos joined the governor in calling on Washington to resolve the disagreements that have paralyzed portions of the federal government.

"This is heartbreaking. My top concern is that, as the shutdown lingers, there will be hardship for those who depend on these services," Wos said. "The situation remains very fluid, but I am committed to doing everything in my power to minimize the impact on our most vulnerable citizens. I urge federal officials to fulfill their responsibilities."

Last week, the partial federal shutdown forced a two-day suspension of issuing new vouchers for the Women Infants and Children (WIC) food and nutrition program. During the suspension, officials from DHHS and the Office of State Budget and Management

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • April Mugshots

    April Mugshots

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 11:48 AM EDT2014-04-15 15:48:25 GMT
    James SiebenthalJames Siebenthal
    The following are mugshots and charges of individuals arrested between April 1-4 by the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office.
    The following are mugshots and charges of individuals arrested between April 1-4 by the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office.
  • BCSO Searches For Missing Hilton Head Island Couple

    UPDATE: Missing Couple Found Safe

    UPDATE: Missing Couple Found Safe

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:49 AM EDT2014-04-19 15:49:44 GMT
    The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office is searching for two missing, possibly endangered people out of Hilton Head Island. Kenneth Anderson, 87, and Phyllis Anderson, 85, were reportedly on their way to visit family in Lawrenceville, Ga. at about 10 a.m. on Friday.
    The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office is searching for two missing, possibly endangered people out of Hilton Head Island. Kenneth Anderson, 87, and Phyllis Anderson, 85, were reportedly on their way to visit family in Lawrenceville, Ga. at about 10 a.m. on Friday.
  • SURVELLIANCE VIDEO: Runaway Horse in Downtown Savannah

    SURVELLIANCE VIDEO: Runaway Horse in Downtown Savannah

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 5:08 PM EDT2014-04-15 21:08:52 GMT
    WSAV has learned that a horse carriage was involved in an accident in downtown Savannah on Monday. A viewer tells News 3 that the horse went 'berserk' after the accident. Savannah Police have closed
    WSAV has learned that a horse carriage was involved in an accident in downtown Savannah on Monday.
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.