BCSO COntinues Investigation into Missing HHI Man’s Death - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

BCSO COntinues Investigation into Missing HHI Man’s Death

Posted: Updated:
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. -

The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office investigators are still working to determine what led to the death of a Hilton Head Island man, a man who was previously reported missing.

Officers discovered the body of 35-year old Pascual Rubio Garcia on the night of September 21St in the marsh of the Jarvis Creek Preserve; four days after he was reported missing by family members.

Officials say, after getting off work on the afternoon of September 14th, Garcia went to a friend's apartment at 90 Dillon Rd. He left the apartment at approximately 7:40 pm that evening, after receiving a phone call from an unknown individual whom he mentioned as a being a friend needing a ride. Garcia left alone, driving his dark blue 2002 Dodge Durango, and was not seen again until his body was discovered a week later.

Authorities say that at approximately 8:25 pm on the night of Garcia's disappearance, his vehicle, driven by an unidentified Hispanic male, was involved in a hit-and-run on Spanish Wells Rd. The victim in that accident advised that she was stopped at the traffic light on Spanish Wells Rd when a blue Durango struck her vehicle from behind. When the victim told the suspect she was calling law enforcement, he fled the scene, heading off island.

Garcia was reported as missing by family members on Tuesday, September 17th. News 3's been told that while they initially did not believe that he was in danger, they were concerned as they had been unable to reach him by phone and discovered that he had not reported to work, both of which were described as uncharacteristic behaviors for him.

On September 25th, the Sheriff's Office received notification that Garcia's vehicle had been located in the parking lot of a Subway restaurant in Richmond, VA. Employees of the restaurant advised the vehicle had been there since September 15th, but that no one had seen who had left it there. Investigators traveled to Virginia to process the vehicle and collect evidence, which has been submitted for analysis.

During the course of the ensuing investigation, those close to Garcia advised that he had been involved with a man known to them as "Jonathan." Investigators were able to tentatively identify the man as 22-year old Jonathan Elias-Basque, however, it was also found that the subject utilizes multiple aliases (Jonathan Elias-Basques, Jonathan Vaires-Capacho, Jonathan Vasquez, Jose Guadalupe-Capacho, William Amando-Garcia Nunez, and Jose Guadalupe Castellanos). His last known address was a rented room at a home on Pearl Shell Ln on Hilton Head. At this time, his true identity remains unconfirmed, and investigators have been unable to locate or make contact with him since Garcia's disappearance.

Circumstances leading up to and including Garcia's death suggest foul play. At this time, BCSO says the subject known as Jonathan Elias-Basque is considered a person of interest being sought for questioning. He is believed to have family in the areas of New York and/or New Jersey. Anyone with any information is asked to contact Investigator Cpl. J. Moran at 843-255-3422 or Crimestoppers.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 59 Arrested By Greenville Police In Latest Prostitution Sting

    59 Arrested By Greenville Police In Latest Prostitution Sting

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 9:30 PM EDT2014-08-20 01:30:28 GMT
    Greenville Police released information Tuesday that 59 people were arrested in a four day long prostitution sting.
    Greenville Police released information Tuesday that 59 people were arrested in a four day long prostitution sting.
  • Teen gets 11 years for carving swastika on boy

    Teen gets 11 years for carving swastika on boy

    Thursday, August 21 2014 3:45 PM EDT2014-08-21 19:45:59 GMT
    An Oregon teenager who carved a swastika into another teen's forehead as he and others tortured the boy has been sentenced to 11 years in prison.
    An Oregon teenager who carved a swastika into another teen's forehead as he and others tortured the boy has been sentenced to 11 years in prison.
  • UPDATE: Brandon Mackey Pleads Guilty to Murder of Volunteer Isle of Hope Firefighter

    UPDATE: Brandon Mackey Pleads Guilty to Murder of Volunteer Isle of Hope Firefighter

    Thursday, August 21 2014 4:05 PM EDT2014-08-21 20:05:25 GMT
    Justice could finally be near for the family of a volunteer Isle of Hope Firefighter who police say was shot and killed during a robbery attempt outside a bar in Sandfly back in 2012. 
    Justice could finally be near for the family of a volunteer Isle of Hope Firefighter who police say was shot and killed during a robbery attempt outside a bar in Sandfly back in 2012. 
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.