Man arrested in area of multiple kidnappings not linked to previ - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

Man arrested in area of multiple kidnappings not linked to previous crimes

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

Police say a man arrested Friday in the area of multiple kidnappings and armed robberies has not been charged in connection with those kidnappings.

Christian Browne, 27, was arrested early Friday morning after he fled the scene of an accident. He is charged with careless and reckless, driving with a license revoked, and failing to report an accident.

Officers were dispatched to the 4400 block of Touchstone Forest Drive in response to a call concerning a suspicious vehicle. When they arrived, Browne fled the scene but was later apprehended.

Police say Browne has not been linked to a number kidnappings and armed robberies that have occurred in the area. Police say the investigation of those cases is continuing.

The latest kidnapping occurred Thursday night when a woman was forced at gunpoint to drive an armed man to an ATM off Duraleigh Road.

Authorities have not said if the kidnapping is related to the three other kidnapping and robberies that occurred in Raleigh earlier this week.

The first robbery took place around 2 a.m. on Sept. 22 in the 4800 block of Pleasant Valley Road. Police said two people were walking on a sidewalk when they were approached by a suspect who was armed with a hand gun. The male victim was assaulted and the suspect took the purse belonging to the female victim before fleeing on foot.

The second robbery took place at 11:50 p.m. on Sept. 22 in the 4300 block of Furman Hall. Police said a female was approached after getting out of her vehicle in her apartment complex. The suspect was armed with a handgun and forced the victim back in her vehicle and ordered her to drive to an ATM. The suspect later ordered the victim to get out of her vehicle near Interstate 40 and Wade Avenue and drove away. The vehicle was later located at the victim's residence.

A third robbery took place Sept. 23 at approximately 10:30 p.m. when a female victim was approached by an armed suspect in the 1000 block of Collins Drive. The suspect was between the victim's vehicle and residence. When the victim screamed, the victim's husband opened the door to investigate and the suspect forced the female inside the house.

The suspect in the first three incidents is described as a black man, about six feet tall with a medium build. During the first two robberies, the suspect was wearing a black motorcycle helmet with a full-faced shield, black motorcycle-style jacket and black pants and shoes.

While committing the third crime, he wore all black except for an orange and yellow zip-up jacket with a turtle neck that covered much of his face.

The man involved in the latest kidnapping was wearing a mask, according to authorities.

RELATED STORIES

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Suspect in Custody, Victim Dead after Statesboro Bar Beating

    Suspect in Custody, Victim Dead after Statesboro Bar Beating

    Friday, August 29 2014 11:20 AM EDT2014-08-29 15:20:50 GMT
    A bouncer is in custody, accused of beating a teen, leaving him unconscious outside of a Statesboro bar Thursday morning, according to Statesboro Police.  Detectives say the assault happened near Rude Rudy's Bar on University Court.
    A bouncer is in custody, accused of beating a teen, leaving him unconscious outside of a Statesboro bar Thursday morning, according to Statesboro Police.  Detectives say the assault happened near Rude Rudy's Bar on University Court.
  • Atlanta police officer arrested in woman's death

    Atlanta police officer arrested in woman's death

    Authorities say an Atlanta Police officer suspected in the murder of a 26-year-old woman has been arrested while trying to catch a flight to Mexico.
    Authorities say an Atlanta Police officer suspected in the murder of a 26-year-old woman has been arrested while trying to catch a flight to Mexico.
  • 'Magic Mike,' Sequel to be Filmed in Savannah

    'Magic Mike,' Sequel to be Filmed in Savannah

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 12:52 PM EDT2014-08-27 16:52:15 GMT
    The Savannah Film Office says the sequel to the movie Magic Mike is scheduled to be filmed in the Savannah area beginning in September.
    The Savannah Film Office says the sequel to the movie Magic Mike is scheduled to be filmed in the Savannah area beginning in September.
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.