3rd Hunting Island Drowning Victim Found - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

3rd Hunting Island Drowning Victim Found - Family Members Speak

Posted: Updated:
BEAUFORT COUNTY, S.C. -

The Beaufort County Coroner's Office has confirmed that a body found washed ashore on Hunting Island today is that of the third swimmer who disappeared Sunday afternoon.

Seventeen year old Mikee Phomma of Philadelphia, PA was located at noon today. A beachgoer discovered Phomma's remains about a mile and a half from the Fripp Island inlet, approximately 3 ½ miles from where he initially disappeared. Phomma had been swimming with his uncle, 38-year old Tiem Mok and cousin, 16-year old Nathan Mok when the three were overcome by strong currents off the shores of Hunting Island Sunday afternoon.

Nathan Mok's body was the first to be found, less than 2 hours after he was last seen on Sunday. His father, Tiem Mok was found at 10 am the following morning.

The victims were last seen in distress in the water at approximately 4:45 pm on Sunday. A 14-year old female family member had been swimming with the victims when they began to struggle against the water's currents. She attempted to pull them to safety, however, was unable to hold onto them. She made her way to shore where another family member called 911 for help.

All three victims were part of a larger group of family members vacationing in the area. No foul play is suspected in the incident. (BCSO)

Previous Article:

Crews are currently limited in the second full day of searching for the missing 17-year-old swimmer off Hunting Island. This is the first time in 30 years they have had a multi-victim drowning according to DNR officials. Agencies involved include DNR, Coast Guard, Lady's island Fire, and park troopers. They are searching by land, air, and sea.

The horrifying scene carried a father, son, and nephew into the open sea.

New Video: Family members speak about the tragic loss.

Previous Article:

Rescue workers returned to the shoreline this morning along Hunting Island Beach to resume to the search for the two missing swimmers. Beaufort County authorities say a body was discovered this morning, along the shoreline. It is 38 year old Tiem Mok. The body of a third person has not been found. The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office says that person is a 17 year old family member who was visiting from Philadelphia.

The Beaufort County coroner tells WSAV.com that Mok and his son are from Chesnee, a small town in Spartanburg County, S.C.

UPDATE FROM BEAUFORT COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE

HUNTING ISLAND, SC (July 14, 2013/6:30 PM) – Search and rescue efforts are currently underway for missing swimmers at Hunting Island Campground. WSAV.com has confirmed the Beaufort County dive team is assisting with this investigation.

A 38-year old male, his 16-year old son, and another 17-year relative were reported missing in the water at approximately 4:45 pm this afternoon. A 14-year old female who had been swimming with the victims reported that they were all struggling against strong currents. When she became separated from the group, she swam to shore to call for help.

The body of the 16-year old Nathan Mok has been recovered, however, search efforts are continuing for his father and a 17 year old relative who remain missing. Multiple emergency agencies are on scene to include the Sheriff's Office, US Coastguard, Fripp and Lady's Island Fire Departments, and Hunting Island park rangers.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • UPDATE Squatters moving out of soldier's home

    UPDATE Squatters moving out of soldier's home

    Thursday, April 24 2014 1:51 PM EDT2014-04-24 17:51:57 GMT
    Squatters begin moving out of Spc. Michael Sharkey's home on Wednesday night.Squatters begin moving out of Spc. Michael Sharkey's home on Wednesday night.
    NEW PORT RICHEY, FL (WFLA) - WFLA's story about a New Port Richey soldier who says his home has been taken over by squatters is striking a nerve in the community and now, the squatters are moving out.
    NEW PORT RICHEY, FL (WFLA) - WFLA's story about a New Port Richey soldier who says his home has been taken over by squatters is striking a nerve in the community and now, the squatters are moving out.
  • Former Postal Worker Sentenced for Not Delivering 45,000 Pieces of Mail

    Former Postal Worker Sentenced for Not Delivering 45,000 Pieces of Mail

    Thursday, April 24 2014 2:45 PM EDT2014-04-24 18:45:46 GMT
    (CNN) - A former Kentucky postal worker was sentenced to six months in federal prison for failing to deliver about 45,000 pieces of mail.
    (CNN) - A former Kentucky postal worker was sentenced to six months in federal prison for failing to deliver about 45,000 pieces of mail.
  • Squatters Move Into Soldier's Home and Refuse to Leave

    Squatters Move Into Soldier's Home and Refuse to Leave

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 2:25 PM EDT2014-04-23 18:25:50 GMT
    Alleged SquatterAlleged Squatter
    When soldier Michael Sharkey was deployed to Afghanistan two years ago, he asked a friend to watch over his New Port Richey house.
    When soldier Michael Sharkey was deployed to Afghanistan two years ago, he asked a friend to watch over his New Port Richey house.
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.