Reported Militia Leader to appear in Military Court - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

Reported Militia Leader Appears In Military Court

Posted: Updated:
Isaac Aguigui Isaac Aguigui

A young soldier who was the self described leader of a militia group at Fort Stewart and who is already facing two counts of capital murder faced a military court Monday.

This time, Isaac Aguigui, 23, is accused of killing his pregnant wife, 24 year old Sgt. Deirdre Aguigui in July of 2011 when the couple was stationed at Fort Stewart. 

  Monday, military prosecutors are expected to reveal how Mrs. Aguigui died and the motive why her soldier husband allegedly murdered her and his unborn son.  An Article 32 hearing is taking place which is similar to a preliminary hearing in civilian court.   After evidence is presented, commanders will decide whether to seek a court-martial for Aguigui. 

   In December of 2011, Aguigui and three other soldiers were arrested by Long County authorities after the bodies of two teenagers were found in the woods. The victims were 19 year old Michael Roark, who had been released from the Army two days before his death. Also killed was Roark's young girlfriend 17 year old Tiffany York.  

   Later, authorities indicated that the motive for killing Roark and York was entwined with an anti government militia group that Aguigui had formed with the other soldiers who'd been arrested.  Prosecutors said that Roark had known about the group and when he left the military the others were concerned he would reveal what he knew about their plans and so they killed Roark and his girlfriend. 

  The militia group was called F.E.A.R. (Forever Enduring Always Ready)

  And the group allegedly had plans to bomb the fountain at Forsyth Park, poison apple crops in the state of Washington and kill the president if the United States. 

  Long County prosecutors say that Aguigui used money from his wife's life insurance policy to finance the militia's plans which included buying up to $80,000 worth of weapons.  Aguigui allegedly told Long County prosecutors in 2011 that he was the "nicest cold blooded killer you could ever meet."

   After Aguigui's arrest in the Long County case, there was publicity regarding the "mysterious" circumstances surrounding his wife's death. In April, Aguigui was formally charged by the Army in connection with the death of Sgt. Deirdre Aguigui. 

  The Article 32 hearing may last up to two days. 

Testimony from an Army criminal investigator indicated that after a military autopsy on Mrs. Aguigui was inconclusive, that a "second opinion" was sought outside the Armed Services. Chief Warrant Officer Justin Kapinus, an agent with the CID, told a military court that they went to Dr. Jamie Downs, a medical examiner with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Kapinus says the results from that second look said Mrs. Aguigui was murdered due to asphyxiation.

Kapinus also testified that his investigation painted a picture of a stormy marriage. He said Isaac Aguigui was unfaithful and once texted a girlfriend that "soon we will have plenty of money." After the death of Mrs. Aguigui, her husband received $509,000 in military and life insurance benefits. Kapinus testified that Isaac Aguigui filed for the benefits two days after his pregnant wife died.

Earlier, a doctor testified that Diedre Aguigui was brought to Winn Army Hospital on the evening of July 17, 2011. He said she was not breathing and that she had signs of bruising around her wrists.

Later, Kapinus testified that investigators had found handcuffs in the Aguigui's bedroom along with other "sex paraphernalia." But Kapinus said it appeared to him that items on the bed had been staged. He also said while Aguigui had told authorities he had found his wife on the couch about 8:00 p.m. that phone records indicated he had called 9-1-1 about 8:15 p.m.

Another doctor that saw Mrs Aguigui during her pregnancy said the young woman was depressed. Diedre said she was happy about being pregnant but distressed that her husband was unfaithful and she was getting a divorce. Later, the Aguiguis got back together.

Pvt. Isaac Aguigui appeared in uniform today as he faces a commanding officer who will decide on whether he should be court-martialed. Aguigui showed no emotion when a picture of his wife was shown on a large projection screen. He also showed no emotion when a sonogram of his unborn son was shown.

Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.