Franklin Co. residents clean up damage left behind by tornado - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

Franklin Co. residents clean up damage left behind by tornado

Posted: Updated:
A tree ripped out of the ground by an EF0 tornado in Franklin County. (Michael Barnard, WNCN) A tree ripped out of the ground by an EF0 tornado in Franklin County. (Michael Barnard, WNCN)
LOUISBURG, N.C. -

Residents in Franklin County are working to clean up the aftermath of an EF0 tornado that touched down southwest of Louisburg Tuesday afternoon.

The National Weather Service confirmed that an EF0 tornado with 85 mph winds touched down southwest of Louisburg and was on the ground for 1.2 miles.

Buildings were torn up, trees and other items were twisted and destroyed, but injuries were non-existent, Franklin County Sherriff Jerry Jones said.

"Everything went crazy," recalled David Pierwola, who has a close call with the tornado. "Trees down, things just flying, [something] hit me on the back on my head when I was on my front porch."

"I always wanted to see a tornado up close, but I think this was a little too close," Pierwola said. "It happened just like that, in the blink of an eye. I don't think more than 20 to 30 seconds."

Nancy Galardi was on her front porch when the winds started toppling trees.

"It was this really loud sound, and the next thing I know: here comes this huge wind that cracks this tree and it hits the porch," Galardi said.

Galardi's home held, protecting her, but her property took a big hit.

"It broke this tree in half and all of the other trees were lying down," she said. "It took all the furniture off the deck and threw it on the other side of the deck.

"I told my husband, ‘Honey, trees are down all over the place.'

"And he goes, ‘Honey, there's a tornado in the backyard."

As the tornado whipped through neighborhoods, folks couldn't believe what they were seeing.

"I looked out that window and saw a tree going," Lee Simon said. "I called my wife to come look and she was at the back door and called me and said, ‘Come look at this.' I saw my little shed had lifted up and disappeared but it left my little pigs."

Steve Sbraccia

Steve is an award-winning reporter for WNCN and former assistant professor. A seasoned professional, Steve is proud to call the Triangle home since 2005 after over two decades in Boston, Mass.  More>>

• Local NewsMore>>

23-year-old man dead in Moore Co. single-vehicle wreck

Saturday, August 30 2014 10:13 AM EDT2014-08-30 14:13:03 GMT
    One man died early Saturday morning in a single-vehicle wreck in Vass, according to authorities.

Motorcycle crash kills 1 in Moore Co.

Saturday, August 30 2014 9:26 AM EDT2014-08-30 13:26:24 GMT
    A motorcyclist died Friday morning in Robbins after slamming into the back of a pickup truck, authorities said.

Six dead in Sampson Co. house fire

Saturday, August 30 2014 8:58 AM EDT2014-08-30 12:58:37 GMT
    At least five people are dead as a result of a house fire in Sampson County early Saturday morning, investigators said. The fire at 552 Gibbs Road in Garland was reported to authorities just after 1 a.m.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

UPDATE:Parents and Students Who Knew GSU Student Killed in Bar Speak Out

Friday, August 29 2014 6:59 PM EDT2014-08-29 22:59:57 GMT
    A 20 year old is in custody, accused of beating 18 Year old GSU freshman Michael Gatto to death inside a club

Shooting on Skidaway Road, Victim Hospitalized

Saturday, August 30 2014 1:00 AM EDT2014-08-30 05:00:01 GMT
    A man is in the hospital after a shooting Friday night on Savannah's eastside.
    A man is in the hospital after a shooting Friday night on Savannah's eastside.

'Magic Mike,' Sequel to be Filmed in Savannah

Wednesday, August 27 2014 12:52 PM EDT2014-08-27 16:52:15 GMT
    The Savannah Film Office says the sequel to the movie Magic Mike is scheduled to be filmed in the Savannah area beginning in September.
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.