FD: Space Heater Ignites Ardsley Park House Fire - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

FD: Space Heater Ignites Ardsley Park House Fire

Posted: Updated:
SAVANNAH, GA -

A space heater is being blamed for a mid-afternoon house fire in the Ardsley Park area of Savannah.

Savannah firefighters were dispatched to 1221 E. 49th St. around 3:30 p.m. Thursday on reports of smoke and flames coming from the one-story, wood house. Firefighters observed smoke in the area as they arrived on the scene, where they discovered the entire back of the residence engulfed in flames.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames quickly and contain the fire damage to the enclosed back porch. The main area of the house, as well as the attic, sustained smoke and limited water damage.

No one was home at the time of the fire and there were no injuries as a result of the blaze. Savannah Fire investigators have determined that an unattended kerosene space heater is to blame for the fire. Investigators say the space heater was left operational in close proximity to flammable materials. One person was displaced as a result of the fire.

Savannah Fire & Emergency Services reminds citizens to use extreme caution when operating any type of space heater in their homes and businesses. Keeping fire safety and prevention tips in mind can prevent damage and injuries. Use space heaters for only short periods of time. Always place space heaters at least three feet from anything that could potentially burn. Never leave space heaters unattended.

 

Never use any type of fuel powered heating device inside a closed structure. Not only are they a fire safety threat, but propane and kerosene powered heaters emit carbon monoxide (an odorless gas) which can accumulate rapidly in an enclosed area and have deadly results.  Never use gasoline in any space heater.

 

Savannah Fire & Emergency Services offers free smoke detectors and installation for homeowners within the City of Savannah. Savannah firefighters also will perform home safety checks to help minimize fire dangers in the home. Contact Savannah Fire & Emergency Services at 651-6756 to schedule either of these services.

This report was provided by the Savannah Fire Department 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • VIDEO: Intense gator battle at Odessa golf course

    VIDEO: Intense gator battle at Odessa golf course

    Friday, July 25 2014 10:56 AM EDT2014-07-25 14:56:27 GMT
    YouTube imageYouTube image
    An amazing video of two big gators locked in an intense fight might have you wondering how something so dangerous could happen at a golf course. A golfer shot the video using a cell phone
    An amazing video of two big gators locked in an intense fight might have you wondering how something so dangerous could happen at a golf course. A golfer shot the video using a cell phone
  • Birmingham man's penis amputated during circumcision, according to Jefferson County lawsuit

    Birmingham man's penis amputated during circumcision, according to Jefferson County lawsuit

    Thursday, July 24 2014 7:39 PM EDT2014-07-24 23:39:17 GMT
    The man says he was not warned that a circumcision procedure could lead to a penis amputation.
    The man says he was not warned that a circumcision procedure could lead to a penis amputation.
  • Ice Cream That Doesn't Melt

    Ice Cream That Doesn't Melt

    Mom shocked after son leaves his ice cream sandwich in the heat for 12 hours and it does not melt.We are definitely seeing the type of weather where you want ice cream, but how would you feel about eating one that didn't melt? Well, a mom from Cincinnati gave her ice cream sandwiches from Walmart. She says one of them was left uneaten, outside in the heat, and it barely melted. Christie Watson says she was confused. She says the ice cream sandwich retained its shape and consistency for hours...
    Mom shocked after son leaves his ice cream sandwich in the heat for 12 hours and it does not melt.We are definitely seeing the type of weather where you want ice cream, but how would you feel about eating one that didn't melt? Well, a mom from Cincinnati gave her ice cream sandwiches from Walmart. She says one of them was left uneaten, outside in the heat, and it barely melted. Christie Watson says she was confused. She says the ice cream sandwich retained its shape and consistency for hours...
Powered by WorldNow

1430 East Victory Drive
Savannah, GA 31404

Telephone: 912.651.0300
Fax: 912.651.0320
Email: newsemailalert@wsav.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.